Summer shining

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swamp Stache

Summer shining

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:59 pm

If you can shine deer all night in your area what time period do you see the biggest bucks in july -Sept. Is middle of the night best as bucks would have more time to get out to fields or is it just one of those depends on the night kinda things?

It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
tuff4x4

Re: Summer shining

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:12 pm

While I do not shine I do go to work early in the am, before first light. Often I will catch a mature buck closer to his bedding area or heading in that direction.

I have noticed the moon and weather play a role in how early they rise and how late they get back to a destination.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:47 am

We are allowed to shine to 11pm here. I see the best bucks 10:30-11. An hour to an hour and a half after dark
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:06 am

In the summer I pay very close attention to peak moon times when glassing or shining. I find this to be the key to viewing the highest numbers of deer on any particular day. It's by far the best time of the year to catch deer in completely normal movement patterns due to almost zero outside pressure.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:14 am

Mostly after 10:30pm til about 4 am this time of year is what I’ve noticed in Central WI
How bad do you want it?
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:16 am

What is this "Shinning" y'all are discussing?
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 am

A5BLASTER wrote:What is this "Shinning" y'all are discussing?

Too many outlaws in south Louisiana for this to be legal lol :naughty: :lol:
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:43 am

CajunSwampStalker wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:What is this "Shinning" y'all are discussing?

Too many outlaws in south Louisiana for this to be legal lol :naughty: :lol:

That's what I figured they was discussing.

To many outlaws in Louisiana period for it to be legal. I should know I use to be one of the worse for outlawing in Jefferson Davis parish. My younger days lol.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:20 am

Last Friday I didn't see many bucks until after 10:30 pm. On Saturday I saw several of them earlier at like 9:00 pm. I honestly think the moon has a lot to do with it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:10 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Last Friday I didn't see many bucks until after 10:30 pm. On Saturday I saw several of them earlier at like 9:00 pm. I honestly think the moon has a lot to do with it.

The excessive heat had them moving extremely late too lately. Sunday evening after the storms ended just before sunset the deer were moving like crazy obviously enjoying the 20 degree temp drop. Activity was nuts and deer were everywhere.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:13 am

Dewey wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Last Friday I didn't see many bucks until after 10:30 pm. On Saturday I saw several of them earlier at like 9:00 pm. I honestly think the moon has a lot to do with it.

The excessive heat had them moving extremely late too lately. Sunday evening after the storms ended just before sunset the deer were moving like crazy obviously enjoying the 20 degree temp drop. Activity was nuts and deer were everywhere.

I think the temps do affect movement too, but I'm not sure how it does. Friday and Saturday were the same temps by me. Very hot and humid. And I saw more activity on the Saturday versus the Friday. I would need more data to draw some conclusions but I think several factors determine the big buck movement in the field.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:29 am

Dewey wrote:

Barometric pressure might have changed as well?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:30 am

Dewey wrote:In the summer I pay very close attention to peak moon times when glassing or shining. I find this to be the key to viewing the highest numbers of deer on any particular day. It's by far the best time of the year to catch deer in completely normal movement patterns due to almost zero outside pressure.

What moon conditions you looking for? Directly overhead/ under foot?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:39 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I think the temps do affect movement too, but I'm not sure how it does. Friday and Saturday were the same temps by me. Very hot and humid. And I saw more activity on the Saturday versus the Friday. I would need more data to draw some conclusions but I think several factors determine the big buck movement in the field.

The moon was set up for great early movement Friday/Saturday but the excessive heat no doubt suppressed that around here.

Weather conditions especially when on the extreme side are always the deciding factor but when weather conditions are more stable the moon times are really something to pay attention too. Usually when I see older bucks when glassing or shining it coincides with peak moon times or major periods. I see this way too often to be considered a coincidence.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:08 pm

This was footage that I got from last Saturday when I was shining. I posted it on FB and thought it would be good to post here as well. It's pretty challenging shining and filming at the same time so the footage isn't that great.

https://youtu.be/UnOMN42LJpg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”