corn piles

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEOHBB

corn piles

Unread postby SEOHBB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:29 pm

I've been doing my homework talking with neighbors and have found my neighbors are all baiting deer. Every year my 3 year old with promise falls victim to the neighbors and the common theme is all of the out of state guys and neighbors that hunt this giant section use corn to bait. Its Ohio so its legal, I feel like the natural movements are going to be effected. Whats your recommendations? If I. Hunting the pre run should I jump in and use corn? My food plots don't have the drawing power compared to corn. Just looking for some ideas

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: corn piles

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Kill him on the trail that leads to their corn pile.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:06 pm

Not sure how big of an area you have but maybe some corn to try to keep them on the property you don’t have to hunt over it if that’s not your thing. Frankly I think not hunting over it is way more effective. The farm here in north Florida the old guys hunt on the feeders me and another move around targeting access and bedding depending on the time year. We tag teamed a nice 10pt last year and my neighbor killed him on his escape trail while I was hunting just off wind 110yards from the bed we were pretty certain he was using on that wind. The old guys kill deer but only does and 1 1/2 yo as a general rule. But those does bring the big guys in if they have cover to scent check them once the rut starts up.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:19 pm

Hunt downwind of the corn on a trail that has rubs near his bedding area. There was a thread on here awhile back a very successful killer on here would use corn to create buck staging areas and kill them. His name is ridgerunner7. It was back when baiting was legal in Michigan . Now it is not
Last edited by Hawthorne on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:26 pm

Despite how baiting is viewed ethics wise it can be highly effective for mature bucks if one has put in the time and knows what they are doing. But the hard truth is anyone who puts in that time realizes they don’t need it. Most baiters don’t put much thought into what the heck they are doing. You need to find a true master baiter :?

Best way I could explain it is treat a bait pile like a scrape during the rut. Hunt the terrain
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:20 pm

If they are using corn try a corn/apple mix in the food plots that you have that way it is a destination area for a mixture of foods.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:53 am

IMO It is difficult to kill good bucks on corn. From my experience you have to sit a corn pile a lot of times to get a glimpse of a nice buck. Most time you Will burn out the spot before that happens. I’m not saying you shouldn’t bait on your property but if you do don’t sit it. Be very strategic about where you put the corn/bait make sure you can get around it without getting busted. The best part about a corn pile is after the deer get dependent on it they will stay on it till day light so it provides you good morning hunting on the trail to bed.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:45 am

I feed deer year round. I do it at a few spots. I started doing it because I wanted to keep a couple bucks around and to try to keep them on a consistent daylight pattern so they wouldn't get shot on neighboring properties. I kept doing it because it has become a hobby that I really enjoy (although feed is expensive). Their seasonal requirements for food change, so I change what I feed them along with that.

I have spots that sometimes I feed for years and never hunt them. At any one spot, I have not hunted more than two times over the past six years or so.

I don't use a feeder, I broadcast on the ground and am always watching the weather to time my feedings so it doesn't get nasty.

"Hunting a corn pile" is broad and at least here, it implies messy hunting with lots of holes and flaws. Hunting bait, even for mature bucks, can be very effective situationally but it depends more on the individual, the set-up, the wind, access, etc.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:01 am

Hunting mature bucks over corn is an effective way to kill one if you’re smart about how you pick the set up and careful how and when you hunt.

Done right it takes a good bit of thought and discipline to pull it off.

I don’t get as much satisfaction out of killing one that way because it’s more fun to figure out where they live instead of bringing them to me.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:40 pm

If its legal I would add corn tour your property to at least draw or keep deer on your property.. It can get expensive to just dump corn out and feeders can help with that if you can get one with a timer.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:53 pm

[quote="Boogieman1"]Despite how baiting is viewed ethics wise it can be highly effective for mature bucks if one has put in the time and knows what they are doing. But the hard truth is anyone who puts in that time realizes they don’t need it. Most baiters don’t put much thought into what the heck they are doing. You need to find a true master baiter :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:03 pm

Baiting is to much work. Me personally, I would be worried about what I can control.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:45 am

My hunting lease was clearcut last year. There reportedly are a few areas of trees which will undoubtedly be used for bedding and 400+ acres of "open". Not even sure if there will be any trees big enough for stands left on the property.

Corn is legal, food plots are legal. I am open to using both.

Heading up in about a month to see if I can set stands and hopefully plant a few plots. Seeds have been ordered and corn will be purchased as necessary. Have some cameras to hang and will put those in areas where we used to see the larger bucks before the clear cutting. No idea what to expect.

As for the neighborhood corn piles... We have similar conditions in normal years - everyone in the area corns and has food plots. The spots with less human intrusion hold more and better deer. The rut changes a lot of that and the bucks move around a bit more.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”