Failing Fast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Failing Fast

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:24 pm

Through the last few years, I’ve noticed a concept that has helped me push through barriers and get on with the next stage of development, rather than being stuck in an endless cycle of tweakage. Whether it be with work, or with chasing critters, failing fast is very important if you desire to refuse complacency and consistently improve.

Since I’m pretty good at failing :lol: I’ll explain the big idea of failing fast in order to provide a helpful definition.

As the 2019 season came to a close in January, I immediately began preparing for the 2020 season. While I’m certainly adapting during the season, it was time to thoroughly address all kinds of things from the previous hunting season that exposed different kinds of weaknesses, like equipment blunders, analyzing blown opportunities, endless post-season scouting trips, more and more mapping, etc, etc.

With all that said, it is very easy (at least for me) to get caught up in this endless cycle of tweaking, or trying to make something work that, at the end of the day, just flat out won’t work. Don’t get me wrong, tweaking is absolutely necessary, and it’s one of my favorite things, but when you find yourself being inefficiently busy, rather than efficiently productive, you have to STOP. You have to fail fast. Do what needs to be done so you can move on to the next thing and continue to get better. And let’s face it, most often we know what the right thing to do is, we just prefer a “work-around.” That’s the antithesis of failing fast.

Failing fast means that you quickly 1) recognize that you’re “failing” and admit that there’s a problem or a weakness, 2) personally detach from the situation and brainstorm a few unbiased solutions (basically remove yourself from the situation so you can think clearly and see the bigger picture from a higher altitude), 3) research and determine the most effective and efficient way to move forward, and 4) get to work.

In other words, failing fast means you refuse to settle for “band-aid solutions.” This allows you to push through weeks, months, or even years of half-way solved problems and ever-evolving forms of dissatisfaction. Failing fast means you admit there’s a problem area (lack of scouting, loud equipment, not being aggressive, etc.). You then analyze possible solutions. Basically, what do you KNOW is the right thing to do (scout more, silence equipment, get aggressive, etc.)..? Finally, you advance toward alleviating the problem. That’s it.

This concept has helped me and I hope that it helps you, as well. Good luck to you all as you prepare for this season!

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Failing Fast

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:37 am

Nice concept.
My trail camera pictures are super inefficient when sorting through them. Almost decided that a good solution would be fewer cameras. Pictures in general are a blessing and a curse.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Andyschulte

Re: Failing Fast

Unread postby Andyschulte » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:47 am

I like it. This reminds of the growth vs fixed mindset.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”