To grunt or not to grunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arrowbender
500 Club

Re: To grunt or not to grunt

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:33 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Arrow bender, where you at? This is your topic

Fun topic but seems everyone knows where I stand on it.

Seems reasonable that if the highest population on bucks in the woods are immature, blind calling will result in more young bucks.

Always find it interesting that many on this topic will readily call to a buck that is passing by because they see it and don’t care if it swings down wind (if you read most of the posters here haven’t had that happen. They came right in) but are afraid to blind call because that might happen.

I know most think it’s crazy, but I have seen so very few bucks circle down wind. I realize that when blind calling some have done it that I will never know about but.... I’ll never know about it!

If you only call to “desperation” bucks; please think about all of the times that a “blind” buck came in to that calling.
It’s funny because usually it was way more aggressive than anything you’d do if actually blind calling. At least me...

There is nothing more fun than calling in big critters.

I really should do more decoying.

I also like the idea of blind calling by mock horiz Rubs.
Hmmmm....!

That’s all for now!

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 am

My experience is it scares lesser bucks...
Don't know about big buck - never killed one
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 am

My experience, is too stay quiet. If a nice one is going by, heck he may be back in that area, in a few days or late season, I do not want to bring any attention to myself. Quiet in and quiet out....... works for me

Early years of trying all that stuff, has taught me how to hunt, good bucks. I know some of you swear by it, and have had good luck, but for me, I do not own a call, or rattling bags etc, or trail cameras, nothing. I just stay as stealth as I can and hunt like a predator
Bowmanmike

Unread postby Bowmanmike » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Grunting has not worked for me yet. Blind calling not at all and last year a buck i would have shot was working past me at 60 yds. He didn't react to the grunts at all and then i tried a snort wheeze,nothing to loose. His head popped up and he came straight for me. That was the problem as i was on the ground. I drew when he was behind a tree but then he stopped at 18 yds full frontal,so no shot. He looked at me forever and i had to let down after what seemed like minutes but probably was only one. He took off after that movement.
It was not a mature buck either,a 2.5 year old in my opinion.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:49 am

I don’t grunt to grunt. If a buck is out of reach I will use it. I have killed 4 bucks doing that cause they were not going to present an ethical shot and the grunt brought them in. 3 of those were mature bucks one was a younger buck quite a few years ago that was a 2 or 3 yr old.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”