Mine reclamation ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

3Dfever

Mine reclamation ground

Unread postby 3Dfever » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:27 pm

I have hunted here quite a bit and almost all my success has been during the rut. I have scouted this ground a lot and the beds I have found seem so random. The only bedding I have seen that is consistent is doe bedding along the tops of spoil banks usually along the edge of the ravines. I have found buck bedding in the bottoms of the ravines and in some flatter areas where they may be a few 10 to 20 ft hills where the bed is right on top of the hills or knobs. It doesn't seem to be typical hill country and the rows of spoil banks can be anywhere from 10ft to 40ft high and as soon as you come to the bottom of one your next step is heading up the next hill. I haven't found any beds on the points along the ravines either. Like I said I mostly have success during rut on travel routes near doe bedding. I'm curious if anyone has hunted this type of terrain and if so what has been your experience with it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The more I practice, the luckier I become"
3Dfever

Re: Mine reclamation ground

Unread postby 3Dfever » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:53 pm

I posted a Lidar image because a typical topo will not show the elevation changes of the rows of spoil banks.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:19 am

3Dfever wrote:I posted a Lidar image because a typical topo will not show the elevation changes of the rows of spoil banks.

Sorry bud I can't help with this but I do have a question. What is your source for Lidar? I'd love to look at my local game landds thru lidar and see logging roads and trails that don't always appear on google or in topos. I did a quick google search and couldn't find and real lidar maps that actually worked...
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
3Dfever

Unread postby 3Dfever » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:36 am

rfickes87 wrote:
3Dfever wrote:I posted a Lidar image because a typical topo will not show the elevation changes of the rows of spoil banks.

Sorry bud I can't help with this but I do have a question. What is your source for Lidar? I'd love to look at my local game landds thru lidar and see logging roads and trails that don't always appear on google or in topos. I did a quick google search and couldn't find and real lidar maps that actually worked...

I found this on my states GIS map through the states .Gov site. I haven't seen how detailed it can get this was just the best image I could come up with to show what I was trying to explain about the terrain.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:29 am

I hunt the same type ground in southern Indiana and agree with what you have stated. The spoil banks make it tough to consistently figure them out. It’s a workout going up and down those banks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”