Camera spooking deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Camera spooking deer

Unread postby DhD » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:14 am

I was sharing some trail camera pictures and discussing strategy with a fellow beast the other day, and we got to discussing the fact that the deer are always noticing my cameras. I'm running spypoints micro links at this point, and I believe the audible click is giving me away. Does anyone have any experience with a cell camera that doesn't spook deer?

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
mauser06
500 Club

Re: Camera spooking deer

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:50 am

I will only run no glows. I've coon hunted my entire life and come across hundreds of cameras. Any sort of flash or IR or any kinda glow is highly visible at night.

Video mode also seems to make noise and the lights kick on and last a while.

I've been running Browning Dark Ops about since they came out. I like them. I can't see/hear anything when they go off. Testing a stealth can No glow now too

Another tip....get them up out of the deers world. I carry a stick and hang them up off the ground anytime possible. I believe it REALLY helps deer not notice them. Even if they smell you messing around the tree ...they don't look up and see the camera. They don't see the glare or flash or hear the noises as well as if they are eye level. They smell the ground scent and get curious and sniff around and they'll peg the camera at ground level and many times freak out.

Also helps avoid people eyes which is a bonus.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:00 am

mauser06 wrote:Another tip....get them up out of the deers world. I carry a stick and hang them up off the ground anytime possible. I believe it REALLY helps deer not notice them. Even if they smell you messing around the tree ...they don't look up and see the camera. They don't see the glare or flash or hear the noises as well as if they are eye level. They smell the ground scent and get curious and sniff around and they'll peg the camera at ground level and many times freak out.

X2

I never get pics of deer looking at my cams even when in multi-shot mode. Up high is the best for all of the above reasons.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:39 am

DhD wrote:I was sharing some trail camera pictures and discussing strategy with a fellow beast the other day, and we got to discussing the fact that the deer are always noticing my cameras. I'm running spypoints micro links at this point, and I believe the audible click is giving me away. Does anyone have any experience with a cell camera that doesn't spook deer?

I don't notice much audible click from all my regular cams. Is there something different in a cell cam that makes them louder?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:35 am

Dewey wrote:
mauser06 wrote:Another tip....get them up out of the deers world. I carry a stick and hang them up off the ground anytime possible. I believe it REALLY helps deer not notice them. Even if they smell you messing around the tree ...they don't look up and see the camera. They don't see the glare or flash or hear the noises as well as if they are eye level. They smell the ground scent and get curious and sniff around and they'll peg the camera at ground level and many times freak out.

X2

I never get pics of deer looking at my cams even when in multi-shot mode. Up high is the best for all of the above reasons.

x3

I don’t think I’ve had even one pic of a deer looking up at one of my cams. That includes a white flash cam that I have that just won’t die...
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:51 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:
DhD wrote:I was sharing some trail camera pictures and discussing strategy with a fellow beast the other day, and we got to discussing the fact that the deer are always noticing my cameras. I'm running spypoints micro links at this point, and I believe the audible click is giving me away. Does anyone have any experience with a cell camera that doesn't spook deer?

I don't notice much audible click from all my regular cams. Is there something different in a cell cam that makes them louder?

I really only have experience with these cameras. All I know is that I hear a click when it takes a picture.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:52 am

mauser06 wrote:I will only run no glows. I've coon hunted my entire life and come across hundreds of cameras. Any sort of flash or IR or any kinda glow is highly visible at night.

I've been running Browning Dark Ops about since they came out. I like them. I can't see/hear anything when they go off. Testing a stealth can No glow now too

Another tip....get them up out of the deers world. I carry a stick and hang them up off the ground anytime possible. I believe it REALLY helps deer not notice them. Even if they smell you messing around the tree ...they don't look up and see the camera. They don't see the glare or flash or hear the noises as well as if they are eye level. They smell the ground scent and get curious and sniff around and they'll peg the camera at ground level and many times freak out.

How do you angle the camera to get the right shots from up high?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:02 am

DhD wrote:
mauser06 wrote:I will only run no glows. I've coon hunted my entire life and come across hundreds of cameras. Any sort of flash or IR or any kinda glow is highly visible at night.

I cut door stop type wedges and put them behind my cams at the top. Sticks work too but tend to work loose and not nearly as adjustable. My cell cams have a special bracket on the security box to lock in at whatever angle I need.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:11 am

Dewey wrote:
DhD wrote:

I cut door stop type wedges and put them behind my cams at the top. Sticks work too but tend to work loose and not nearly as adjustable. My cell cams have a special bracket on the security box to lock in at whatever angle I need.

That's a great idea. I go the sticks route and it works, I'm able to get em tight, but it takes a while to ensure they're aimed exactly where I want them.
20200712_141506.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am

I don’t thinks it’s all that they seem them. I think they hear them and smell them also. Any electronic device has that odor, even after it’s aired out for a while.

I would definitely never hang one less that 8-10 feet off the ground so their senses are as easy to be triggered that something just ain’t right here.
How bad do you want it?
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 pm

I have two of the spypoint micros. Wish I’d never purchased them, but of course the price was too good not to try.

I have one that really, really smells. Like a burnt smell. Has been that way since I first ran it.

The other seems to have the same odor, but it’s faint.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”