When should I check my cameras to get my inventory

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Denisboyko22

When should I check my cameras to get my inventory

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:55 am

this is a question for someone who knows alot about hunting. I set my cameras first week of July and I want to know when would be a good time to go check them to get inventory and start basically hunting down the buck/ i would start looking at maps and predicting where he's coming from, i also don't wanna check to early and just realize he's only there for the summer and gone by hunting season. I was thinking either a week before hunting season or maybe a few weeks that way I could possibly do some observation sits. I'm very busy with work always so I'm going to rely on those cameras to get me some Intel on the bucks in the area. I've had 1 buck probably mid 120s that walked up on me few days ago while I set my last camera so I know where atleast 1 good buck is but he looked alittle young still .

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: When should I check my cameras to get my inventory

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:03 am

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Sounds like you might be targets a specific buck or two? If so I would go check them now. Then either get them outta there based on some great intel or if your intel seems to be lacking then I would move your cameras to different areas.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:12 am

rfickes87 wrote:It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Sounds like you might be targets a specific buck or two? If so I would go check them now. Then either get them outta there based on some great intel or if your intel seems to be lacking then I would move your cameras to different areas.

Yeah i basically just want to get even 1 picture of a specific buck and its game on but also i would like more pictures so I could pattern him better too and just see his rack and size better from different angles and see where he's coming from
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:26 am

This is a tough one and I’m not an expert, but I have seen drastic improvement regarding deer retention in an area when I limit it to at least a 4 week soak. When you think you really want to go check, wait another week.

In my semi urban spots that open in early September I’ll likely go in just one more time and try to confirm deer and movement. Granted I’m always hoping that others are not in there setting up stands within that month time frame.
I find the more ridiculous a spot is (overlooked/close to road/) the better. I want places where people don’t even think it’s possible for a deer to be.

In my regular (non urban spots) I still do not have it figured out. The movement of deer is so vast , sparingly on my cameras that I’m likely going to just let them sit all year for long term (next year) data. That season starts in October so it’s a different ball game.

As someone else mentioned already, when you get that one glimpse, that information you needed....Stay out and make it a legitimate “first sit”.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:20 am

It’s a little bit of a loaded question. Do you know where the bedding areas are?

To me there’s a big difference in knowing the bedding areas on a familiar property and using a cam for inventory vs throwing cams in a brand new spot that I know very little about and trying to figure it out that way.

Cam placement/strategy will vary quite a bit between the two.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:26 am

I usually do my initial “inventory” right after the season in January to see who survived. It is much easier to get them to come in to a little supplemental corn, and they will travel farther, for those easy calories. I don’t put out a ton of corn just enough to get them coming in.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:31 am

Lockdown wrote:It’s a little bit of a loaded question. Do you know where the bedding areas are?

To me there’s a big difference in knowing the bedding areas on a familiar property and using a cam for inventory vs throwing cams in a brand new spot that I know very little about and trying to figure it out that way.

Cam placement/strategy will vary quite a bit between the two.

I kinda know where the bedding is, i just want inventory basically nd just more of a confirmation where they are coming from , direction wise
RamJam145

Unread postby RamJam145 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:37 am

Where did you hang your cameras? If they are in or near bedding I would say check them soon to gather what you need to know and then get out and stay out until hunting. If they are on field edges or water away from bedding you can probably get away with checking them a couple times before the opener.
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:42 am

RamJam145 wrote:Where did you hang your cameras? If they are in or near bedding I would say check them soon to gather what you need to know and then get out and stay out until hunting. If they are on field edges or water away from bedding you can probably get away with checking them a couple times before the opener.

Mainly field edges , i don't like bugging their bedding this close to the season
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:11 am

Maybe approach checking it as you would if you planned to hunt it. Like wait for a favorable wind.

Or it might be a good idea to head in just before rain.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 am

I put all my cams in transition or feeding areas solely so I can check them easier, as well as disturb the deers less. My favorite time to check them is before a predicted hard rain. Most of my pics are nighttime pics but I'm only looking to see who is around. On private land I'm checking once every 2 weeks. Public once a month. I borrow my landowners 4 wheeler for checking, deer are used to it so I can get away with more disturbance. Sometimes I'll saddle up their horse and ride to my more remote spots, great cover.

Pubic is more dicey, before or during rain and in/out like a ninja.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:34 am

RamJam145 wrote:Where did you hang your cameras? If they are in or near bedding I would say check them soon to gather what you need to know and then get out and stay out until hunting. If they are on field edges or water away from bedding you can probably get away with checking them a couple times before the opener.

X2. Great approach.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:35 am

I check my cameras and move them once a year and that typically happens mid August.

I will go in with my reader, download the pics, clean the cards and replace them and batteries. Go home look at the Intel and then go move cameras the next day.

Then I stay out till I'm ready to hunt. Allows me to keep inventory of the deer, track and help pin point bucks and help me do scout/hunt like I do.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:29 am

I have had mine out since late June early July. I’m gonna wait till mid august to start pulling mine. A lot of guys start hitting the woods in September here. September 1 they can start hanging stands. I want them down before then
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:06 am

I'm taking a new approach this year for summer trail cams, 2-3 weeks and move somewhere else based on what pics I get. If no pics of what I'm looking for, I may abandon the area completely or move to a different spot on the property. If I get good pics, I'm pulling the camera and moving to a different spot on the property or a new area completely- I've got what I need, nothing left to gain.

Once mid-September rolls in, I'm moving all my cameras to my three best properties. This is also a new strategy for me but what I've done in the past isnt working.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”