Oldrank, The Average Outdoorsman.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Oldrank, The Average Outdoorsman.

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:46 am

Definitely instructive and makes sense why this overlooked spot right by the road works for deer movement. Has my mind going now for some of the spots where I have seen deer close to access points. Thanks for posting and for the in-detail explanation.

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:05 am

This is a great idea. I love watching videos of other guys and how they operate.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:13 am

Thanks for posting, when you hunt there do you park your truck in the same spot?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:29 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:Thanks for posting, when you hunt there do you park your truck in the same spot?

I knew that question was going to come up, haha. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If it's a hunt where I work late and am just looking to get in the woods for the last bit of shooting light I will park there. Evening hunts the deer are usually coming across the road and following the creek trail back. Most movement will be the last few minutes of shooting light.

Morning hunts early season they are feeding on those oaks and will move down the edge of the road. I usually park down the road and sneak in. They don't seem to mind human scent on the road, there are always joggers, bike riders and dog walkers going up n down it.

I usually only hunt here once or twice a season during perfect conditions. It's pretty low odds spot because humans can ruin alot of my hunts.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:21 am

Nicely done. I would say definitely above average. :shifty:
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:55 am

oldrank wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:Thanks for posting, when you hunt there do you park your truck in the same spot?

I knew that question was going to come up, haha. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If it's a hunt where I work late and am just looking to get in the woods for the last bit of shooting light I will park there. Evening hunts the deer are usually coming across the road and following the creek trail back. Most movement will be the last few minutes of shooting light.

Morning hunts early season they are feeding on those oaks and will move down the edge of the road. I usually park down the road and sneak in. They don't seem to mind human scent on the road, there are always joggers, bike riders and dog walkers going up n down it.

I usually only hunt here once or twice a season during perfect conditions. It's pretty low odds spot because humans can ruin alot of my hunts.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, another question, what wind are you hunting it on? One that takes your scent away from the road? I’m going to subscribe the next time I log into YouTube, love seeing informational content like this.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:19 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:
oldrank wrote:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, another question, what wind are you hunting it on? One that takes your scent away from the road? I’m going to subscribe the next time I log into YouTube, love seeing informational content like this.

Evenings SW wind. That is our predominant wind. That blows my scent down the human trail. Mornings NW would be my wind of choice. That blows my scent east of the bedding across the Rd.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:27 am

Well done.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:24 am

Good video. I haven’t attempted a hunt like that yet on public land. I know one spot close to parking that’s an autumn olive thicket I know holds deer. I watched 9 does walk out of it one time while it was a thunderstorm and I wasn’t sitting. I might have to give it a shot this year maybe rut time frame. I prepped a tree in there
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:09 am

Hawthorne wrote:Good video. I haven’t attempted a hunt like that yet on public land. I know one spot close to parking that’s an autumn olive thicket I know holds deer. I watched 9 does walk out of it one time while it was a thunderstorm and I wasn’t sitting. I might have to give it a shot this year maybe rut time frame. I prepped a tree in there

Cool man. I think you will be surprised. If you can figure them out they work. I bank on bad weather when I know people have not been hunting. A two or three day stretch of nasty drizzle but calm winds is money.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:22 am

Mr. Rank - please watch... YOU, Sir, are not average!
https://youtu.be/6ldAQ6Rh5ZI
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:02 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: Subbed!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”