Road Transition Trails.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Road Transition Trails.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:54 pm

As I keep scouting I'm noticing alot of mature buck trails running parallel to roads.

I'm noticing a thick edge of 30-50 yards inside the woods have big buck trails trails on them. These usually have a few rubs. I think bucks are viewing the road as a transition line in some cases.

I notice this alot if the ridge is thick cover briars , pines ect.

A example is this spot.
I don't think a person would ever sit just off the road like this. Course the buck will know if any car stops human activity occurs.

This is a east and west buck bed.
I'm not sure if these are only used during wind switches or what. Map is example don't worry about coordinates.

They can also be North and South wind bedding on the same point sides.

Screenshot_20200720-204607_Painter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Road Transition Trails.

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:40 pm

I've sat less than 100 yards from the road more than a few times. Typically park down the road and loop around to access. Or get dropped off. Cover is usually super thick :shock:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:02 pm

I’ve noticed the Bad thing about a lot of the trails is that they are on top of every ridge. It can become a real challenge to find a ridge without easy traffic.

I’d focus on the areas that offer multiple levels of vegetation and year round water close by. And I wouldn’t be afraid of watching traffic go by 50-60 yards away.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:04 pm

It might be a transition but I think it very well could be the top 1/3 a lot of times too.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:18 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:It might be a transition but I think it very well could be the top 1/3 a lot of times too.

Yep
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:02 am

Makes sense. If you have everything on one side of the road, why cross it? (Why did the chicken cross the road? Because it was too stupid to know it was dangerous) The only thing I hate about hunting near roads is the road noise makes it hard to hear woods sounds.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:33 am

I noticed trails paralleling the roads quite A bit also. Majority of the terrain around these parts is lowland conifer swamps and the roads were generally built on the higher ground available. So I wonder if that has some to do with it, also at times power co or road commission will possibly run a mulcher on a skid steer down the sides of roads or along the power lines paralleling the road, more sunlight is getting in so it is generally thicker/ more browse more cover.

I haven’t hunted any of these spots up here. Not that I’m a stranger to hunting near roads. Just doesn’t feel right when you’re in the true wilderness. No doubt last yr I pushed too deep a lot of the time. Some road edge sits are dead in order this year.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”