Summer Bucks Come September

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Summer Bucks Come September

Unread postby LukeTM » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:33 am

Hey everyone, I’m having trouble figuring out a property.
Let me describe it a bit...
•This property is 230 acres of farm/hill country.
•There are a series of fields, all alfalfa.
•The wooded portions hold plenty of oaks.
•It’s HIGHLY pressured from walkers to hunters.
•I’ve got velvet picks of mature bucks and I found a 140s dead head.
•Corn to the West and South West

The section pictured is what I have narrowed down to. The red lines are the dominant trails. I believe the bucks are bedded primarily on private to the West.
Summer field edge pictures shows multiple bucks on the public at literally all times of day.

My question is, will they still be around come September 12th? (Wo opener). There isn’t good morning access so it’ll have to be an afternoon hunt. Do you pick the best trail and set up just inside from the field? Do you set up on the runway intersection down in the draw?

I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Summer Bucks Come September

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 am

One general rule I see in my area is the mature bucks will shed sooner than the younger bucks, which they could switch to their fall patterns / bedding. They seem to break away from the groups or they could stay close by but start showing up later. Another general rule is you likely only have a few days or 1 week to get a shot at him before he does move.

If the property is that high of pressure then I would hunt the timber off those trails. I like the cuts/ditches to funnel scent and catch them crossing.

Also I would consider having a admin remove this pic and finding one similar to talk about. Its very likely someone recognizes it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”