Small Swamps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Small Swamps

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm

So I hunt in North GA and have been scouting some small Swamps that are created by beaver activity on all creeks. Most of them are less than an acre in size with some slightly larger. I am not finding much bedding in or near the swamps themselves, but am seeing a good deal of sign.

I am thinking that they come to the swamps to feed on browse and then bedding in higher elevation overlooking the swamps. Does anyone else have any experience with these small southern swamps?

VaBowKill5

Re: Small Swamps

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:28 am

I hunt some similar swamps in Virginia. I’ve seen some really good bedding down in the swamps on some high ground surrounded by water but there’s one I like that rarely has buck bedding but has several does that bed in it. The beaver dam itself has proven to be a hot spot for cruising bucks crossing from one side of the creek to another throughout November. Maybe check into that.
HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Small Swamps

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 am

VaBowKill5 wrote:I hunt some similar swamps in Virginia. I’ve seen some really good bedding down in the swamps on some high ground surrounded by water but there’s one I like that rarely has buck bedding but has several does that bed in it. The beaver dam itself has proven to be a hot spot for cruising bucks crossing from one side of the creek to another throughout November. Maybe check into that.

Thanks for the advice! I've only found one buck bed on these swamps so far and it was only a seasonal bed. Hoping you might be onto something with the thought of cruising bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”