Which bed when?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Which bed when?

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:25 am

FWIW the bucks really like to bed up top so long as the cover and escape routes are there and lack of pressure.

Also If the swamp seasonally floods big bucks generally won’t bed down there.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:32 am

PK_ wrote:FWIW the bucks really like to bed up top so long as the cover and escape routes are there and lack of pressure.

Also If the swamp seasonally floods big bucks generally won’t bed down there.

Its actually marsh. I often use swamp/marsh interchangeably. And I forget that they are separate when talking deer hunting. So yes, the water does rise in the marsh seasonally, but these edges have enough of a lip that they don't flood.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:42 am

dan wrote:Based on your pictures I would say its most likely going to be wind based

I need to figure out a way to hunt this differently. Access and getting in close enough. We did have a lot of easterly winds last season which was out of the ordinary, and saw a lot less action in the top of hill stands than we usually do.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:59 am

:lol: There's so many great posts here it can be a bit mind boggling. :lol:

I think JMAAS said it first, if there is anything close to moderate hunting pressure the marsh bed will be favored and potentially in ANY wind direction if that's the most secure location for the buck to be.

If not that level of pressure and you believe the buck is in that area, when conditions warrant it I would hunt high. Within 24 hours of him bedding high he will know that you hunted him, and you've primed the swamp bed for hunting.

Too much guessing for me, I would determine the level of hunting pressure and strike accordingly. Better yet, I would check for buck tracks next to the road for when that buck is using the marsh bed. Like Oldrank said, you don't stop your vehicle there, get out and look... you pull the ol Dan trick of parking some distance away and going for a walk. Even if the buck can see the road, this is low impact. Find the track and keep moving... go back by a while later. Note the conditions that put the buck in the marsh bed... pressure / wind / weather / seasonal timing and log it for future hunting.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:16 am

Thanks, everyone!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:50 am

I have been thinking more about this bed, and the more I think about it, the more I think a bump and dump might be the only option.

Map.
white bed marker = looks most used.
Yellow lines = some deer trails
Red line= north of this is hunting pressure
Food sources to the west and north
South across the road is low lying woods that flood, and they can bail that way too.

20200727_132250.jpg

If I go in from the north, he can bail south or east. If I go in from the road, he will see or hear me. No access from the west. I don't have a specific tree picked to try to set up in the dark for a morning hunt. So that leaves a daylight bump and dump. Also, 30 yards is my max archery shot. Everybody likes a challenge, right? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:20 pm

I will throw out an idea so take it with a grain of salt...

If there is some high winds coming over the hill I could see a buck moving closer to the bottom.

I have seen some bed closer to the bottom in this example just not in marsh/swamp setting. Please update after you hunt it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”