Just pulled the trigger on a saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Re: Just pulled the trigger on a saddle

Unread postby DhD » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:22 am

Huntress13 wrote:Just ordered a Phantom and platform. That's what credit cards are for... Lol. Helium sticks to start with. We'll see how this goes in a couple weeks.

I'm running this exact setup. It's hard to beat an Eberlestock x2 to haul it all.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Sloepoke20

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:58 am

cspot wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
dannyboy wrote:I did the same this spring huntress. Hunted on and off for years out of the old trophyline but after some practice this spring It's taking me much less time to set up with less bulk and more efficiency. The ropes and ropemans are much better. Can't wait for the fall!

I didn't spring for the ropemans yet. Figured I would see if I'm going to be able to do it first before sinking more money into it. But I can see that would be a nice upgrade and probably next on the list.

And I was so surprised I got shipping notice same day I ordered. So probably be trying it out at ground level this coming week long before the sticks arrive.

The Ropeman is really nice upgrade on the Linesman Belt and well worth the money. It is an ok upgrade on the tether in my opinion, but not sure if it is worth the extra cost or not.

I ordered one Ropeman with my saddle. I figured I’d use it on my tether and see if I needed one for my Linesman. Just assumed I’d use it more on my tether rope. Maybe I’ll have to play around with it and see. I eventually thought I’d get another but was trying to keep the cost down a little if I could. Also didn’t order the recliner yet. I wanted to see how comfortable it was without first.
dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:10 am

Huntress13 wrote:
dannyboy wrote:I did the same this spring huntress. Hunted on and off for years out of the old trophyline but after some practice this spring It's taking me much less time to set up with less bulk and more efficiency. The ropes and ropemans are much better. Can't wait for the fall!

I didn't spring for the ropemans yet. Figured I would see if I'm going to be able to do it first before sinking more money into it. But I can see that would be a nice upgrade and probably next on the list.

And I was so surprised I got shipping notice same day I ordered. So probably be trying it out at ground level this coming week long before the sticks arrive.

Service was very prompt for me too.I highly recommend the ropemans for both ropes as it was a game changer for me
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:47 am

I was worried about shooting out of the saddle last year when I first got it. I practiced a little bit for me....turned out that it wasn’t a big deal. Very easy and natural to shoot out of. FWIW I use a mantis and predator. I really like them both but it probably doesn’t matter what brand/style you use. You’re basically standing in terms of shooting position the whole time.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Sloepoke20 wrote:
cspot wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:

The Ropeman is really nice upgrade on the Linesman Belt and well worth the money. It is an ok upgrade on the tether in my opinion, but not sure if it is worth the extra cost or not.

I ordered one Ropeman with my saddle. I figured I’d use it on my tether and see if I needed one for my Linesman. Just assumed I’d use it more on my tether rope. Maybe I’ll have to play around with it and see. I eventually thought I’d get another but was trying to keep the cost down a little if I could. Also didn’t order the recliner yet. I wanted to see how comfortable it was without first.

For me anyway when I am climbing up the sticks being able to adjust with 1 hand is pretty convenient. On the Tether since you are up, you have both hands free to adjust when needed. A Ropeman is nice on both, but at least for me I would rather have on the tether if I had only one.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:42 pm

Today was the first time I've ever sat in a saddle , and it was the Phantom..............with. Predator platform.....

Maybe I should spend the rest of my life savings on Dan's new stand as a saddle platform?????
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Tetherds marketing got me with the Phantom. I always dismissed saddles as nothing more than a bunch of tethers and ropes in nots and tangles
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm

But like Stanley always said, "You gotta have a shot.".

Unless you prep and trim your trees well before season you might as well hunt off the ground....
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:57 am

cspot wrote:
Sloepoke20 wrote:
cspot wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:

For me anyway when I am climbing up the sticks being able to adjust with 1 hand is pretty convenient. On the Tether since you are up, you have both hands free to adjust when needed. A Ropeman is nice on both, but at least for me I would rather have on the tether if I had only one.

I haven't gotten a ropeman yet, because I'm cheap, but will likely get one for this season. Adjusting the LB is a PIA with a prussik knot, but it is fairly easy adjusting the tether's prussik...don't see a real need for one there, either.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:48 am

Huntress13 wrote:

I suggest hanging out a lot 2-3 ft off the ground. Every day go hang out for 30 minutes or so and try different tether heights, bridge length, saddle positions, feet positions and really dial in your setup. This will be my 3rd year in the saddle and getting used to it takes a little time to get comfortable, or for me it did. I think where a lot of people mess up is they immediately climb up and then cant get comfortable or switch positions as needed and then they get frustrated with it. Just practice your setup and shoot from it and take your time and be safe! Also on the ropeman1 they're really nice on a linemans belt since that's what you adjust the most and ability to adjust with one hand helps alot. I run ropemans on both tether and linemans belt, but if I could only use one it'd be on the linemans belt.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:15 am

You will love it. Practice, practice the weak side shot the most. Practice your gear lay out in the tree. The reason I say that is establish your lay out for the least movement and ease of getting your gear. Another thing I struggled with was setting up, I had 39 years of setting up for a treestand. Practice retraining your mind to set up for strong side shots. Last thing I would say, use the thing differently than a treestand. Utilize the versatility and weight difference to go in further and hunt trees you couldn't with the treestand or you just wasted $400.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:01 am

I did the same thing! I had decided to go with a phantom, with the predator platform, and I too use Helium sticks. Last year I was on ly getting up to 12-14 feet or so, but should be able to get higher when necessary this year using a movable aider. I used a hanger last year and liked it, but my goal was to be as fast, efficient, mobile, and quiet as humanly possible, so I'm hoping I can get it to meet my expectations. I have sat in my brothers mantis and my phantom, but have not hunted or shot my bow from a saddle yet, so I still need to get some practice in before the season starts.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:35 am

Saddle arrived yesterday. First impression... The box came yesterday and I picked it up and set it aside because I was busy. Then 30 minutes later I thought "oh, the platform was in there too? That felt really light."

So this morning I unpacked everything and read the instructions and tried it for 30 or 40 minutes, from a foot off the ground. Wow, so far I absolutely love it.

Sticks are supposed to arrive today. Gear hanger arriving tomorrow. Hope I can master the sticks because I'm feeling really positive about the saddle.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:40 am

Here is a bow holder for the saddle guys and girls, kinda similar to jx3 hybrid.

https://genesis3dprinting.com/products/hip-bow-holder

I am gonna get one of these, I can hang my crossbow from.

https://genesis3dprinting.com/products/ ... ssist-tool
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:54 am

I’m in the same boat, this will be my first year hunting out of a saddle. I picked up the mantis from the forum and then the predator saddle during Father’s Day sale. I’m also using the helium sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”