Just pulled the trigger on a saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntress13
500 Club

Just pulled the trigger on a saddle

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:42 am

Just ordered a Phantom and platform. That's what credit cards are for... Lol. Helium sticks to start with. We'll see how this goes in a couple weeks.

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Drenalin
500 Club

Re: Just pulled the trigger on a saddle

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:49 am

Huntress13 wrote:Just ordered a Phantom and platform. That's what credit cards are for... Lol. Helium sticks to start with. We'll see how this goes in a couple weeks.

Will this be your first run at hunting out of a saddle? If I ever climb a tree again, that's probably what I would do it in. Will be interested to hear how you like it this season!
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:49 am

It’s nice to have in the tool kit. I just got myself a new cruzr. I’ve hunted out of a saddle off and on for years. Mostly still stick with the lone wolf alpha 90% of the time but hopefully you’ll find some use for it. It’s a good option in some cases.just expensive and you need a little more gear than you need with just the stand and sticks.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:57 am

Huntress13 wrote:Just ordered a Phantom and platform. That's what credit cards are for... Lol. Helium sticks to start with. We'll see how this goes in a couple weeks.

Awesome!! I did the same thing
Ive never used a saddle at all.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Excited to learn to use it. I have several friends been talking to me over last couple years about how well they enjoy the saddles

I agree with Bigburner, nothing else it will be another tool for its own purposes

Oh btw, I ordered the cruzr xc
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:20 am

Always good to see another person discover saddle hunting. Hope it works out for you and you kill a good one this fall out of it. 8-)
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:24 am

I think I’m about to do the same this weekend!
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:35 am

Best of luck with it. Now the trick is putting it to good use. You hunt some private right? When I first got the saddle I found great success in spots where I had never put a tree stand before. No prescout needed because you know the deer on your land. But catch them by surprise because you aren’t supposed to be there. Works.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:00 am

I think you will enjoy it, I made the switch after last season and am loving it so far this offseason in practice with it.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:27 am

Drenalin wrote:

Will this be your first run at hunting out of a saddle? If I ever climb a tree again, that's probably what I would do it in. Will be interested to hear how you like it this season!

Yes, first time. In fact, for many years I never got in any sort of tree stand until I started bowhunting, except like a tree fort platform sort. And then I went to ladder stands. So this will be interesting. I think that with a little practice I will feel secure in the saddle. Learning how to hang and climb the sticks is more what I'm worried about. Maybe it won't be that bad because you are always attached with the lineman's rope. I plan to start on the ground then practice with 1 stick, then 2, etc.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:29 am

ODH wrote:Best of luck with it. Now the trick is putting it to good use. You hunt some private right? When I first got the saddle I found great success in spots where I had never put a tree stand before. No prescout needed because you know the deer on your land. But catch them by surprise because you aren’t supposed to be there. Works.

Yes, and there are lots of places I can think of where that could work.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:33 am

Bigburner wrote:It’s nice to have in the tool kit. I just got myself a new cruzr. I’ve hunted out of a saddle off and on for years. Mostly still stick with the lone wolf alpha 90% of the time but hopefully you’ll find some use for it. It’s a good option in some cases.just expensive and you need a little more gear than you need with just the stand and sticks.

The selling point for me is it's light. I don't think I would be strong enough to do a hang on. I know a few ladies who do climbers but those scare the heck out of me.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:49 am

Huntress13 wrote:
Bigburner wrote:It’s nice to have in the tool kit. I just got myself a new cruzr. I’ve hunted out of a saddle off and on for years. Mostly still stick with the lone wolf alpha 90% of the time but hopefully you’ll find some use for it. It’s a good option in some cases.just expensive and you need a little more gear than you need with just the stand and sticks.

The selling point for me is it's light. I don't think I would be strong enough to do a hang on. I know a few ladies who do climbers but those scare the heck out of me.

Thats awesome Huntress13
Do you typically hunt preset stands prior? I bet the saddle will provide you many more opportunities
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:55 am

backstraps wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:

Thats awesome Huntress13
Do you typically hunt preset stands prior? I bet the saddle will provide you many more opportunities

Ladder stands. Some ladders are never moved, some are moved from year to year. But this will definitely get me in to a lot of different opportunities. Even if I can only make it 12 or 14 feet up.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:01 am

Huntress13 wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:

Thats awesome Huntress13

Ladder stands. Some ladders are never moved, some are moved from year to year. But this will definitely get me in to a lot of different opportunities. Even if I can only make it 12 or 14 feet up.

Congratulations! I understand those spots that never change year to year. Some spots are just that good especially rut funnels.
Im sure becoming more mobile will increase your odds.
Hope you enjoy and find success quickly in the saddle
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:08 am

Congrats, I hope it works out! After it comes in Please update us with pics or maybe a video of your setup!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”