My friends think i'm crazy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

My friends think i'm crazy

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:04 am

All my friends think i'm crazy because i'm always scouting and scouting. They tell me to find a good funnel and sit it during he rut and thats how you get a buck. I'm not content with hoping I get lucky I want to make my own luck. I want to know everything there is to know about bucks. I love putting myself in their shoes and figuring out why they do what they do. Last year was my first year beast hunting and I made plenty of mistakes but I learned so much more then I would have just sitting a funnel. My friend got a nice 3.5 year old 9 point which is good for our area and he teases me because I got skunked. I feel if I can start to understand why the bucks do what they do it will make me be a better hunter. Getting skunked last year and getting teased has lit a fire in me like no other. I will find a way to get a buck. I will hunt every chance I get. I may not have a tree stand but ill lay on my stomach in a bean field like a sniper and pop up and shoot. ill hide in a bush and sit motionless for hours. ill wade through miles of mud and muck that goes above my waste and fight the copperheads and rattlesnakes. I WILL get a buck this year. I'm sorry if I have been blowing up the forums lately but I am getting beyond excited for this deer season and hope you are too.

Cutter

Re: My friends think i'm crazy

Unread postby Cutter » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:12 am

That's awesome man, love the passion. Do what must be done.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:21 am

Sounds normal to me. Good luck to you !!
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:32 am

In the long run your work will pay off. I’ve had friends tell me I have too many spots, and that I should narrow it down to a few and just hunt those instead of bouncing around. I just laugh when they call it luck when I consistently bring bucks back to the camp. In my opinion you can never know too much.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:38 am

:clap: I'm sure you will succeed!
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:39 am

Maybe your friends are the ones who are crazy? You sound a lot like most guys on this site.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:43 am

oldrank wrote:Sounds normal to me. Good luck to you !!

:lol: Same
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:12 am

You're among friends here!

All honesty, whatever floats someone's boat, this is supposed to be fun. A lot of guys are pretty darn successful picking good rut funnels for the right reason and just giving them time every year! I've sure killed my fair share that way.

I LOVE knowing why I see deer and picking it all apart, I get why a lot of folks don't. One thing that I always try and remember is that as much specific bed targeting and everything that we talk about here, keep an eye on the Kill Zone every year. Most of the bucks we all kill are still coming during the rut. I guess the point there is it can be a slippery slope to dismiss rut hunting to the point where you internally devalue rut kills and don't get excited for them. Hunting the rut is fun as all heck!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:08 am

That's awesome man. Sounds like you got the right attitude. You know lots of hunters get lucky or can shoot a dandy buck from time to time. When you get your methods and understanding down then your true standard will be doing it on a concistant basis year after year and having some excellent encounters and hunts.
When you realize that your doing something wrong and your willing to open your mind to new techniques and skills your limits are endless. There are lots of good hunters on here that are more than welcome to answer your questions or bounce ideas and suggestions off of. Dont ever quit learning! Just when you think you know a thing or two those bucks can teach you a lesson! "The entrance to your success is through your failures"! Set your own standard not the one people think you should have.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:20 am

Welcome to the club.

Everyone I ever told about beast hunting thinks I'm crazy. I am but only before I get my morning coffee.

I have more bucks on my wall for my effort :D
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:28 am

Matthewkatz wrote:All my friends think i'm crazy because i'm always scouting and scouting. They tell me to find a good funnel and sit it during he rut and thats how you get a buck. I'm not content with hoping I get lucky I want to make my own luck. I want to know everything there is to know about bucks. I love putting myself in their shoes and figuring out why they do what they do. Last year was my first year beast hunting and I made plenty of mistakes but I learned so much more then I would have just sitting a funnel. My friend got a nice 3.5 year old 9 point which is good for our area and he teases me because I got skunked. I feel if I can start to understand why the bucks do what they do it will make me be a better hunter. Getting skunked last year and getting teased has lit a fire in me like no other. I will find a way to get a buck. I will hunt every chance I get. I may not have a tree stand but ill lay on my stomach in a bean field like a sniper and pop up and shoot. ill hide in a bush and sit motionless for hours. ill wade through miles of mud and muck that goes above my waste and fight the copperheads and rattlesnakes. I WILL get a buck this year. I'm sorry if I have been blowing up the forums lately but I am getting beyond excited for this deer season and hope you are too.

You picked the right forum for the Whitetail addicted.

Here you will find many like minded individuals. Without a doubt, you will fit right in and there are a lot of forum members that are willing to share their knowledge and expertise.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:33 am

Nothing wrong with being the odd dog. At least odd dogs think for themselves and dont follow mediocrity. My suggestion is to surround yourself with successful people. It doesn’t have to be hunters. Can be fishermen, businessmen, or whatever! The point is successful people don’t drag u down. They understand how to perceiver and bring out the best in you. Not try to drag u down to there level with easy outs and nonsense
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:19 am

Slightly different motivations, but I can relate entirely.

I’ve been fortunate enough to get two decent bucks the last two years. Immediately after getting each deer I’ve had someone say, “that’s a once in a lifetime deer around here” or “better enjoy that one” implying it was entirely luck and it will never happen again. Talk about lighting ones on fire...

My schedule affords a bunch of time in the spring and summer and I scout almost daily. It’s become such a part of my schedule, I feel off when I don’t scout. It’s like anything, the more you do it and the more you try to get better at it, the better you inherently get(I think at least).
Every 15 minutes you can look for tracks or drive by a hunting ground at night gives you information.

I’m still not at a point where I can put it all together in one visit. Instead I’ve been breaking parcels into zones and bouncing from one to the other.

I think people who don’t scout to exhaustion are the weirdos. It’s plain ol fun.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:23 pm

Don’t forget to have fun. The more “free and easy” your mind is, the more successful you’ll be. Your write up reminded me of the old me. Dogged determination that would eventually succeed, but I forced hunts which was detrimental. I put too much pressure on myself...

Relax, focus, and enjoy being out there. Next thing you know your wall will make fun of your friends for you ;)
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:33 am

I'm in the same boat as you man , been hunting 2 years going on 3 my first year I hunted with a few friends on funnels and never seen a buck and missed a doe and then one day I heard 2 bucks going at it so I dragged me and a buddy through dog thorns for half a mile to some spot where I went nipples deep in mud in January and for some reason that made me want more also watching Dan infalts videos made me wanna go get a target buck , got the only big buck I knew about last year 2nd day i hunted and then I had all my buddies asking me where I hunted and if they could go with me and why I didn't ask for them to come hunting with me that day

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”