My friends think i'm crazy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: My friends think i'm crazy

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:40 am

Lockdown wrote:Don’t forget to have fun. The more “free and easy” your mind is, the more successful you’ll be. Your write up reminded me of the old me. Dogged determination that would eventually succeed, but I forced hunts which was detrimental. I put too much pressure on myself...

Relax, focus, and enjoy being out there. Next thing you know your wall will make fun of your friends for you ;)

I do agree with all you wrote and will add, its like a rookie qb in the NFL, they are jumpy and hungry and as they get experience you always hear them say the game is slowing down. It will come but one has to go through all the phases or progressions. I haven't hit the progression of regularly killing giant bucks but things have slowed down for me. I just don't scout much, in season is pretty much my thing.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:03 am

Sounds like you have the mind set! If you keep that attitude you will kill plenty of bucks!
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:56 am

Honestly, you SHOULD sound crazy to them if you’re heading in the right direction! Keep at it! You can’t be successful if you don’t fail first!
How bad do you want it?
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:10 am

Lots of good advice coming at you. I might add another tidbit. Don’t worry about what your buddies are doing. I’ve been guilty over the years of getting caught up in that wether it be hunting related or at work etc. Just focus on you and what you can improve.

It’s hard to keep it all in during conversation With fellow hunters but I tend to not say too much to most people about how I’m hunting and looking at things. Don’t need their negativity. That’s why it ended up me liking it here so good. Great folks
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:51 am

Matthewkatz wrote:All my friends think i'm crazy because i'm always scouting and scouting. They tell me to find a good funnel and sit it during he rut and thats how you get a buck. I'm not content with hoping I get lucky I want to make my own luck. I want to know everything there is to know about bucks. I love putting myself in their shoes and figuring out why they do what they do....
This is what your friends don't get. It's more than just killing a buck. It's the challenge, discovery and adventure that makes us do what we do. Killing a buck based on my work, skill and aptitude is what drives me each season. If I don't kill, then it tells me there's more work to be done. But when it happens, it's the sweetest feeling. It's the best dope on earth. Good luck this year! I'd love to hear you succeed.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:35 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:Lots of good advice coming at you. I might add another tidbit. Don’t worry about what your buddies are doing. I’ve been guilty over the years of getting caught up in that wether it be hunting related or at work etc. Just focus on you and what you can improve.
It’s hard to keep it all in during conversation With fellow hunters but I tend to not say too much to most people about how I’m hunting and looking at things. Don’t need their negativity. That’s why it ended up me liking it here so good. Great folks

THIS ^^^ :clap:
AppalachianArcher

Unread postby AppalachianArcher » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:25 am

My hunting buddies are the same way. I'm a completely different type of hunter than they are. Last season one of them was hunting their property and kept telling me that he kept seeing all the deer in an area where he couldn't hunt. I asked him why he couldn't hunt the area, and he said that there were no trees for him to put a stand in. Even after all the grief I hear from them about "why do you hunt public land when you have private that you can hunt?" or "why do you do this or that?", I gave him my thought on how to go about it. I had told him about seeing guys in marsh areas using step ladders. He was hunting in a 6-7 year old cutover with no trees larger in diameter than a soda can. He finally decided to listen to me and take an 8ft step ladder with him one evening. Well, that evening he sends me a picture of a nice buck that he killed after sitting on top of the ladder for 45 mins. Two days later he goes back to the same spot, but about 30yds in the other direction. It was a repeat of the evening a couple days before and he was tagged out on good bucks. He told me that he will never question or doubt any advice or tactic that I toss his way again.

First buck

Resized_20191118_171652(3)[1].jpeg

Second buck

image000000[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:34 am

Everytime I tell people I bed hunt they say it's too aggressive. But they sit on rub lines hundreds of yards away and see only small bucks.

Most hunters are lazy they arent willing to find the time to learn woodsmanship. they hunt over a salt lick and can never figure out why they see only small bucks. They don't understand human pressure or buck bedding.

Some throw on their scent lok and walk wind to back to their stand lol. I do get a good laugh watching hunters hunt the wrong slopes on the wrong wind directions.
I've tried telling people this and they just ignore me which is why I mostly hunt alone.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:41 am

AppalachianArcher wrote:My hunting buddies are the same way. I'm a completely different type of hunter than they are. Last season one of them was hunting their property and kept telling me that he kept seeing all the deer in an area where he couldn't hunt. I asked him why he couldn't hunt the area, and he said that there were no trees for him to put a stand in. Even after all the grief I hear from them about "why do you hunt public land when you have private that you can hunt?" or "why do you do this or that?", I gave him my thought on how to go about it. I had told him about seeing guys in marsh areas using step ladders. He was hunting in a 6-7 year old cutover with no trees larger in diameter than a soda can. He finally decided to listen to me and take an 8ft step ladder with him one evening. Well, that evening he sends me a picture of a nice buck that he killed after sitting on top of the ladder for 45 mins. Two days later he goes back to the same spot, but about 30yds in the other direction. It was a repeat of the evening a couple days before and he was tagged out on good bucks. He told me that he will never question or doubt any advice or tactic that I toss his way again.

First buck

Resized_20191118_171652(3)[1].jpeg

Second buck

image000000[1].jpg

That. Is. Awesome.

Great advice and patience on your part.

Love that story!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”