Cover Scents

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Cover Scents

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:46 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:My experience with Evercalm is, young deer seem curious. Older deer know something's up. It doesn't spook them necessarily, but it definitely makes them very alert. It's not familiar.

Hello mam, I have a question based on something I know nothing about but have heard a lot of theories. Hope it doesn’t come across the wrong way but I don’t know a female who gets after them. I’ve always wanted to ask this question..,,

Do u think a ole factory animal such as a deer can tell a distinct difference between a male an female? Don’t know if it’s an ability to determine a so called threat or not. But I have raised critters my entire life. From dogs, horses, pigs, cattle etc.... They all seemed to have a different disposition when it comes to a female. Again don’t know a kind way to put it so I’m gonna let it rip but don’t mean it in a bad way at all. Just what I have witnessed in my life. You never see a man getting dog paws on his back and the lip stick pulled out while picking weeds. It’s always the ladies they flock to. I question the fact of if a animal can smell the diff or if they even care. From what I have witnessed in the wilds I truly believe if a mature buck was put in a tight spot with only 2 outs. A man to the right and women to the left. TheY go towards the women. I have used female artifacts hung on a tree limb and watch bucks just get after it. Can get pics of bucks on anything hanging a time or 2. But the enthusiasm and movements were night and day different.

My opinion, from my experience, is with deer there is no difference. Any human scent is a threat. Only time they come closer is if they don't know I'm human.

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Birddog00

Unread postby Birddog00 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Last year I set up on a buck I watch go toward a small bedding area. I knew to get my wind right I would have to cross over where he would likely walk. I did put ever calm on that evening, I will only use if I think it will give me a extra second or two. And I crossed the run where I could shoot him, if he stopped on my scent. When I shot him, I dont believe he had quite made it to my track, if he did, he made no sign of knowing I was there.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:09 pm

Huntress13 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:My experience with Evercalm is, young deer seem curious. Older deer know something's up. It doesn't spook them necessarily, but it definitely makes them very alert. It's not familiar.

Hello mam, I have a question based on something I know nothing about but have heard a lot of theories. Hope it doesn’t come across the wrong way but I don’t know a female who gets after them. I’ve always wanted to ask this question..,,

Do u think a ole factory animal such as a deer can tell a distinct difference between a male an female? Don’t know if it’s an ability to determine a so called threat or not. But I have raised critters my entire life. From dogs, horses, pigs, cattle etc.... They all seemed to have a different disposition when it comes to a female. Again don’t know a kind way to put it so I’m gonna let it rip but don’t mean it in a bad way at all. Just what I have witnessed in my life. You never see a man getting dog paws on his back and the lip stick pulled out while picking weeds. It’s always the ladies they flock to. I question the fact of if a animal can smell the diff or if they even care. From what I have witnessed in the wilds I truly believe if a mature buck was put in a tight spot with only 2 outs. A man to the right and women to the left. TheY go towards the women. I have used female artifacts hung on a tree limb and watch bucks just get after it. Can get pics of bucks on anything hanging a time or 2. But the enthusiasm and movements were night and day different.

My opinion, from my experience, is with deer there is no difference. Any human scent is a threat. Only time they come closer is if they don't know I'm human.

Thank you for taking the time, was a question I always wanted to ask. What can I say opinions are what make the world go around. On this particular one I just have to disagree on the any human scent is all the same. I believe we each have a individual scent that deer learn. For instance a non hunter can educate them to feel no threat and they react differently than they do to Joe Hunter who goes tippy toeing through the woods 2 months a year. I believe they can smell the difference from a vegetarian and a meat eater and relate immediate danger accordingly. While I don’t have a clue with deer every other animal I watch does so I suspect a female has a completely different smell than a male that they relate to. Doesn’t matter and I again thank for your time. My opinion and $2 will get a cup of coffee. Whitetails Wishes mam.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Thank you for taking the time, was a question I always wanted to ask. What can I say opinions are what make the world go around. On this particular one I just have to disagree on the any human scent is all the same. I believe we each have a individual scent that deer learn. For instance a non hunter can educate them to feel no threat and they react differently than they do to Joe Hunter who goes tippy toeing through the woods 2 months a year. I believe they can smell the difference from a vegetarian and a meat eater and relate immediate danger accordingly. While I don’t have a clue with deer every other animal I watch does so I suspect a female has a completely different smell than a male that they relate to. Doesn’t matter and I again thank for your time. My opinion and $2 will get a cup of coffee. Whitetails Wishes mam.

Well, I've been hunting 29 years now and if there is any advantage to being a woman in this game, my trophy wall sure doesn't show it. Maybe I need to wear makeup and perfume....
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:59 pm

I believe u possibly misunderstand what I was trying to say. I don’t believe u have an advantage at all. I’m not a sexist hunter. Plenty of stuff on here about me being excited to take my little girl. The fact you hunt relates you as a threat. The sad fact is not a lot of women do. Let me give you an example of what I was trying to say. Several deer around my home to which few people hunt. My lil girl can be playing outside and they will feed around without a care in the world. My wife can walk out there yell at her feed the dog and no response from the deer. By god if I’m anywhere in the general area they run for the hills. I don’t hunt these deer why in the heck are they afraid of me? Think in a lot of cases they have been conditioned to not expect danger from children or the majority of females.
-John Wayne-
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:06 pm

I don't put any cover scent on my rubber boots. That being said these boot are only used for hunting and I don't drive with them on. I think the mud and muck I walk through on the way in are the best cover scent for my boots.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:30 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I believe u possibly misunderstand what I was trying to say. I don’t believe u have an advantage at all. I’m not a sexist hunter. Plenty of stuff on here about me being excited to take my little girl. The fact you hunt relates you as a threat. The sad fact is not a lot of women do. Let me give you an example of what I was trying to say. Several deer around my home to which few people hunt. My lil girl can be playing outside and they will feed around without a care in the world. My wife can walk out there yell at her feed the dog and no response from the deer. By god if I’m anywhere in the general area they run for the hills. I don’t hunt these deer why in the heck are they afraid of me? Think in a lot of cases they have been conditioned to not expect danger from children or the majority of females.

Oh, that's interesting. The deer around here don't do that. Even backyard deer in towns where they aren't hunted. They might stand around and continue to feed while keeping an eye on you from 50 or 100 yards, but they surely aren't going to come closer and if anyone goes closer to them, they're gone. Except there is one town in the mountains we go to where the deer actually walk around town and beg from the tourists. Not sure if those deer prefer females, kids or non hunters.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:00 am

deer365 wrote:I wear rubber boots and do my best to keep them clean and only wear them hunting. I very seldom have issues getting busted by my ground scent when deer cut my trail, but I still think there is no full proof way to avoid deer picking up your ground scent. Do any of you use anything on your boots like doe pee or ever calm to help reduce ground scent? Have you found it helpful? Have you ever noticed it spooking deer? What are your thoughts?

You cant "reduce" ground scent by adding scent... You can only increase it.
With that said, cover scents cant work because a deer nose dont work like ours. They have an additional organ in there nose we do not. Its called a vomernasel organ. A lot of things are not known about this organ because there has been no need for scientists to study it, But one thing they have discovered is vomernasal organs separate odors. They done smell like we do... We smell a blend of scents, they separate each ingredient. If you put fox pee on your boot, you smell like fax pee and human, and what ever other odors you came across. Google vomernasel organ and see if you can find anything on it.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:07 am

rempse2 wrote:I don't put any cover scent on my rubber boots. That being said these boot are only used for hunting and I don't drive with them on. I think the mud and muck I walk through on the way in are the best cover scent for my boots.

Or step in an active scrape along the way.

Why smell like (1) deer.

I've tried a bunch of different ways of scent proofing my boots and hunting gear. I gave the cover scents away.

I do my best to use the wind and thermals along the most non-intrusive or least likely deer route possible and grind my boots in a fresh scrape, fresh dirt, mud or even pile of deer dung. The most natural thing I can find that given day. I've had better success doing this than using manufactured cover scents. Probably the biggest issue we forget about is touching brush, branches and the sort while making access. Ever see deer hit your trail and smell the vegetation that's a off to the side? Tough walking through without touching something with your pants leg or using a hand to move stuff out of the way but that's why I try my very best to use a route deer are less likely to use near my stand while I'm hunting that day. Or, if not avoidable, if I have to cross a trail I expect deer to be using within range of my stand, I will purposely cross it in the "perfect" location to get a shot on either side of where I crossed the trail before they reach that spot.

Although, I suppose I could just roll around in a scrape or deer dung. LOL
Shoot Straight
deer365

Unread postby deer365 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:53 am

dan wrote:
deer365 wrote:I wear rubber boots and do my best to keep them clean and only wear them hunting. I very seldom have issues getting busted by my ground scent when deer cut my trail, but I still think there is no full proof way to avoid deer picking up your ground scent. Do any of you use anything on your boots like doe pee or ever calm to help reduce ground scent? Have you found it helpful? Have you ever noticed it spooking deer? What are your thoughts?

You cant "reduce" ground scent by adding scent... You can only increase it.
With that said, cover scents cant work because a deer nose dont work like ours. They have an additional organ in there nose we do not. Its called a vomernasel organ. A lot of things are not known about this organ because there has been no need for scientists to study it, But one thing they have discovered is vomernasal organs separate odors. They done smell like we do... We smell a blend of scents, they separate each ingredient. If you put fox pee on your boot, you smell like fax pee and human, and what ever other odors you came across. Google vomernasel organ and see if you can find anything on it.

I looked it up, you're description matches to a tee. With that being said I think I'll just keep my boots clean and continue doing like I was. This is one of those cases where no scent is the best scent. Thanks Dan
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I believe u possibly misunderstand what I was trying to say. I don’t believe u have an advantage at all. I’m not a sexist hunter. Plenty of stuff on here about me being excited to take my little girl. The fact you hunt relates you as a threat. The sad fact is not a lot of women do. Let me give you an example of what I was trying to say. Several deer around my home to which few people hunt. My lil girl can be playing outside and they will feed around without a care in the world. My wife can walk out there yell at her feed the dog and no response from the deer. By god if I’m anywhere in the general area they run for the hills. I don’t hunt these deer why in the heck are they afraid of me? Think in a lot of cases they have been conditioned to not expect danger from children or the majority of females.

They fear you because they can sense the "BEAST" flowing in your ice cold vains lol.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:43 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:

They fear you because they can sense the "BEAST" flowing in your ice cold vains lol.

Woo wee.... Thank god! There for a minute thought they might have something against the Busch Light coming out my pores.
-John Wayne-
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Birddog00 wrote:Last year I set up on a buck I watch go toward a small bedding area. I knew to get my wind right I would have to cross over where he would likely walk. I did put ever calm on that evening, I will only use if I think it will give me a extra second or two. And I crossed the run where I could shoot him, if he stopped on my scent. When I shot him, I dont believe he had quite made it to my track, if he did, he made no sign of knowing I was there.

This is so interesting. I’ve had deer freak out after crossing my entry trail that I used 5 hours prior. Then again, watched deer seem to not even register my hour old ground scent.

I know when Luke Brewster shot “Mufasa”, the buck crossed his entry trail and didn’t seem to mind. Not that a world record buck is really all that different from the next mature buck though, in reality.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:59 pm

In my scent control days I went through the whole keep your gear clean and sealed deal before and after hunting. Handled my clothing and rubber boots with rubber gloves. Got dressed away from the car, then sprayed down with scent killer spray. Even with all that, I got to watch deer cross my entrance route and stop on a dime. Towards the end of my scent control days, Nose Jammer came out. I went through the whole scent control process noted above, but then would spray my boots with nose Jammer, then the base of my tree with nose Jammer, and my tree at hunting height. One hunt I scouted my way into a new spot, found a tree, and climbed up. A doe and fawn came through, stopped on a dime on my entrance path, sniffed, looked around, and kept walking. A little but later a 6pt came in on the same trail behind them, did the same thing, then I used one of those primos can calls. He turned and circled downwind of me, stopping about 30yds away, directly downwind and staring in my direction. He was never what I would call in a state of alert, more curious than anything. There was a large tree between us that allowed me to get away with movement, I had no intent on shooting him, so I pulled my can of nose Jammer out of my fanny pack and sprayed it. You could see his body language change when it hit him, but he never bugged out. He lost interest and went back the way he came to where he crossed my entrance trail and went on his way. Another buck came through later, same trail, this time it was a spike. Stopped, looked in my direction, and moved on. All that said, none of these were mature deer, all 1.5 year olds and younger. If I was gonna play the cover scent game again, I would go with one of the vanilla scents such as nose Jammer or deer dander.

One other note, my father in law was a great trapper. No one knows scents like trappers. He would always laugh at me when I told him about cover scent on boots or dragging a tarsal, etc. The reason why is the scent is strongest where you start the trail, not where you end up, so deer should follow your trail back to your car, not your stand. I know there are a bunch of people who have drug a tarsal or some other scent and killed bucks following it in. But how many more would have been killed if they left a second hunter at the truck? :lol:

Edit: I think the tarsal works because the gland is secreting new "fresh" scent as the trail is laid down. If you dipped a scent wick in fresh doe urine and dragged it through the woods, the deer should track it to the truck.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:53 pm

I agree with Dan, and what Trout says makes sense. I think the scent control idea, is more important for the tree stand hunter, who too many good bucks is "predictable", if they are not careful ........ When I hunt open country and grass lands, I am not in the same place twice all day, since I am always trying to ambush an observed animal. So good light hiking boots is what I like. Even when I am back in the big woods, I like a good boot, since I cover a lot of country.

Best cover system I have, are my ambush spots, along trout streams, since most of my set ups, I am sitting in the water.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”