How long did it take you to kill your first good buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: How long did it take you to kill your first good buck

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:44 am

Define "good". I was taught the brown/down method. Never even saw a "good" buck in the woods for many years, just in the car headlights. Didn't hunt out of tree stands, never was taught about wind or any of that. The deer in my profile pic is my biggest to date. It's pretty good for my area, and I was proud of it, so it's good for me. That took 27 years. :lol:

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
jmickey

Unread postby jmickey » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:11 am

My first buck was a 5 point 20 years ago when I was 12 during my first hunting season in pa. After that I thought I was the baddest kid in school. For the next 16 years it was smaller 2-3yr old 8 points and young bucks, which I always considered a 3yr old a good buck for Pennsylvania.In 2016 I harvested my first mature buck with a rifle. Typical 12 point, 140”. Which is very hard to come by in PA, I would consider that a rare buck out my way.
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Eight years of hunting before I shot my first nice buck.
Littleviking88

Unread postby Littleviking88 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 am

7 years. Last year I recovered my second buck that was pretty awesome, near P&Y 8pt. The story behind it is the best part as my dad and I were hunting together which had been the first in 4 years. My largest buck I never recovered, I shoulder shot and tried tracking too soon - rookie mistake. Ultimately I pushed him onto some public that I'm familiar with and ended up losing the blood trail.
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:28 am

Started hunting deer in 1978, got first buck in about 1990, first 8 pt in 2013, most mature buck (3x1) in 2013. Several 15/16 inch spreads 2014-2018. Missed 2 better bucks in 2014 and 2016.

this is a decent buck for me
20181027_092555.jpeg

Didn't shoot a whitetail in 2019, got a muley instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:34 am

it took me a whole 2 months...
The first time i actually hunted deer was opening day of Missouri bow season last September 2019. I took a really nice doe with my bow on day two of the season. My first buck was opening day of rifle season November 2019, two months after my first deer hunt ever, and it was a pretty nice 147 3/8" gross score buck (the one in my profile picture) . That particular buck was taken on private land a buddy of mine had invited me out to hunt. His land had very little pressure, and it had been two years since anyone hunted it at all. Tat definitely helped put the odds in my favor, especially with it being the rut. I had about 30 sits last year on private land and saw only one buck the entire bow season. It took me one day on private land to realize there is a big difference between public and private land.
mobymikeguide

Unread postby mobymikeguide » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:53 pm

After 20 years, Im still working at it, but has not always been my focus until recently Ive always looked at a big buck as bonus. Ill keep on grinding
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:05 pm

I was 19.. so 10 years. I let several 130” deer walk and tons of 110-125 before killing him though. I never cared if I killed them

He was almost 160
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:34 am

I've only hunted 2 years going onto my 3rd year but last year was the first year hunting beast style and I closed the deal 2nd hunt opening week on a public tank. Scores about 137
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Probably 10 years or so. You get better at it with time for sure. Since then some years I get them and some I don't, just about every year leads to an opportunity at one though. I get buck fever kinda bad so that has cost me a few misses and a couple of unfortunate wounds. I will say that hunting deer where they bed, as taught here on the beast, has changed the game for me.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:29 pm

I got lucky in my teens and shot a 100 class eight point about three years in. In northern MN in the mid 90’s that was a wall hanger. I took a break for a few years and moved out west for a few more years. Late 20’s I got back into it and have been pretty hardcore for about a decade. Three years in I shot my first mature buck and two years later I shot 159 Inch wall hanger. Three years ago I joined the beast. My encounters with mature bucks was trending upward but with beast knowledge the difference is unreal.
Persistence is undefeated.
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:13 pm

I started hunting when I was 30 and killed my first “decent” buck last year at 41. I killed a couple small bucks and plenty of does but it took 11 years to get one I was really happy with.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:44 pm

All the bucks I've killed have been "good". Starting in 1980.

Others may not consider some of them trophy's, but every one is a trophy to me! It's not the size of the rack, it's the memories of the hunt that really matter!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”