antler size vs age class

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

antler size vs age class

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:38 am

What gets you guys the most excited chasing after a deer with the biggest headgear in the woods or chasing after the oldest smartest buck in the woods. Personally I love the challenge of trying to outsmart an old buck that has learned everything he needs to do to survive and evade hunters. There is nothing like the thrill of the hunt in chasing a target buck. Id still shoot a big buck if I see one but something about the personal chess match between me and the old monarch gets me more excited. I feel like Captain Ahab chasing after Moby Dick. Do you guys have any crazy stories of chasing after that one buck that you just obsess over?

goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: antler size vs age class

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:14 am

Id guess that an older buck that has always had lesser headgear most likely got more than 1 free pass card . History with a buck that was always large racked now on down size rack is different.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:33 am

Not too many beasts are willing to bite on this one because it can be highly controversial and the discussion will really get side tracked. I would like to say this though. To each their own and as a hunter you need to find what trips your trigger. And when I say as a hunter I am referring to each individual because it will be different from person to person. Their are so many variables and things that impact how and when an individual can get after them.
It took me awhile to figure out what trips my trigger. When I first started hunting I was more worried about fitting the commercialized mold and expecting to shoot giants when I bought some cameras.
Now that I have become more confident and defined with my style and strategies with hunting I come to find that I really like to glass bucks, find them with cameras, watch them, learn about them, and find that one piece of the puzzle it takes to shoot them. I like to develope kill plans and tweak my setup if needed.
I like older age class bucks that can either have a giant rack or a nice rack as long as the age is right. I like that cat and mouse game and trying to get a step ahead. I live for the chase and finding that rush between man and beast. It takes a special animal and hunt for this and you know when you found it when your 20 feet up and that feeling drowns you. Only one tag here in Ohio for bucks so we have to use them wisely.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:43 am

I’ll shoot a two year old Booner if one walks in front of me. :shifty:

Obviously I like to hunt older truly mature bucks but I’m not dead set on it and that narrow minded to say that’s all I will kill. Heck my standards change day by day depending on where I’m hunting. Everybody hunts for different reasons and that’s the beauty about hunting. Do whatever makes you happy. There is no right or wrong answer to this question.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”