Self filming

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Littleviking88

Self filming

Unread postby Littleviking88 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:38 am

Good morning fellow beasts!

This fall I want to get into self filming and potentially a podcastand am hoping to get some feedback. My goal is to integrate filming hunts along with personal resiliency and how our failures and success in the woods have parallels with everyday life. I really enjoy Dan's videos and find joy in his videos and posts which encourage us as hunters to not just be better hunters but to be better people as well. Anyway, I do not have much for material but I think I have enough - I have a pretty basic action camera, cell phone, and a camera that has a video setting. What have your experiences been and what recommendations do you have with filming, editing and software?

Any feedback is appreciated and if there's anyone from SE MN who'd like to connect that'd be especially great.

I hope you are all well!

Josh

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Re: Self filming

Unread postby Jhand » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:14 am

I just started kinda self filming last year, my kinda I mean I just bought a sony action cam and use that. The action cam is excellent for walking in and I use an external mic so I can get good audio of me talking about what Im seeing and my plan on the way in. It however is terrible once I get setup in the tree for a main camera. The field of view is so wide its hard to make out a deer moving. I have been shooting in 4k so when I edit I am able to crop and zoom but its still no where near the quality of a good camcorder or DSLR/Mirrorless. I have been wanting to setup up to a Mirrorless this year but it just isnt in the budget. I use davinci resolve to edit video. I used adobe premiere pro in the past and I actually prefer Resolve over it. The best part is Davinci Resolve is completely free! They do offer it with a couple extra features you have to pay for but I have never needed any of the features you need the paid version for. There is a little learning curve to Revolve just as there is with Adobe but just play with it enough and you can figure it out. There is also a ton of information on youtube about it.

I started filming mainly just for me, I dont plan on releasing any of the footage. I also use the video as a journal and I am constantly talking about things I see and notice so I can look back and get intel for future hunts in the area. I like to show the struggle of hunting public land. I dont know if you ever seen any of the Behind the Bow videos but he was excellent at capturing that. Alot of videos show the success but not alot show the whole process, the ups and downs of the entire season and how much work goes in.
kher

Unread postby kher » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:44 am

Im in MN too, we can bounce ideas off each other.

Ive been recording here and there, haven't dived into editing yet. IMO, the more content you have the more you have room to play with for editing depending on the story you'd like to create. I am still trying to get as much as I can for the time being and maybe edit a video with all I got to get my feet wet. I think the most important aspects to focus on are good lighting and good audio, nothing worse then showing your viewers dark video with poor audio.
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
Littleviking88

Unread postby Littleviking88 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:29 am

Thank you both for your feedback! I will have to look into the editing software and play around with it. I definitely don't want to put out cruddy content where you can hear the wind blowing and I end up sounding like the teacher from Charlie Brown lol.

Kher, are you in SE MN or do you hunt down in this part of the state? It'd be cool to connect sometime this fall.

I hope you both are well and thank you again for your input!
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”