September Kentucky 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeKlee94

September Kentucky 2020

Unread postby JakeKlee94 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:11 am

A few buddys and I are coming to Kentucky this september in Hope's to get on a nice velvet buck on public WMAs.
Had anyone had any experience with hunting kentucky in September while it's super hot out still? Things to look out for? Any tips or pointers?
Planning on sticking close to food sources whilst accessing with a kayak down the river.

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Re: September Kentucky 2020

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:53 am

Just like anywhere, get away from other people. Maybe that's 2 miles from the road, maybe its 40 yards. just have to go and see for yourself. Depends on what other hunters are doing at that time.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:59 am

Look for a store to buy lots of bug spray and permethrin.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:56 am

Snakes
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:02 am

Are they selling non-resident tags? They shut it down for turkey season. Don't know if it ever opened back up for non-residents or not.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:15 am

Do the things you hear about. Walk farther than other people and look for places where access is tough.

It may do you some good to make a trip now to glass some fields. I’m starting to really see more deer out and about on my drives home from football practice in the evening.
nkmatt_KY

Unread postby nkmatt_KY » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:49 am

I would come down a few days early and scout the soybean fields in the evening and try to find a few bucks you are interested in. The fields to key in on are the one that have younger soybeans, soybean fields were that were planted in early July after the wheat harvest. These soybeans are younger and more palatable and are preferred over the more mature soybeans (this is not to say you won;t see a good buck in the other fields either). Once you find a good buck watch him and figure out where he is entering the field (most likely will be on the first shaded side) and how he moves across the field. Once you determine that go in mid day and hang your stand on the edge (10 yards or so in the cover) of the field in proximity of the buck entrance point and his route in the field. They won't always use the same entrance point but I have noticed they prefer certain spots in the field. I believe this is due to the soybeans being more nutritious in certain spots. For these hunts you aren't as worried where they are bedded but where they are feeding. The bucks will most likely do the same thing day after day as long as they don't get pressured so the key is an ambush. If you don't connect on the first night sneak out without spooking the deer and he will probably be back the next night.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”