Water

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mdshoreman21

Water

Unread postby mdshoreman21 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:01 pm

I’m hunting a tract of public land on the Eastern shore of Maryland this year that is an island, surrounded by large rivers or tributaries. So it’s interesting in the fact that these deer can’t really run miles off to seek refuge (although I wouldn’t put it past them to swim off the island if they needed too). The rivers are brackish water which is a mix of salt and fresh, but there are a few ponds but no creeks or streams on the property. I have noticed in my summer scouting these deer are hanging around these ponds as opposed to other spots with no fresh water. So I guess what I’m wondering is, could a deer drink that brackish water if he needed too (is his stomach tough enough for it)? Also In watching tons of hunting shows I only ever hear them talk about hunting food sources, but what about water? How important is water to a deer? Will he get up to drink during the day. Will they bed close to water sources? Are they mainly drinking at night? Don’t feel the need to answer these questions. Maybe just how you guys use water sources to kill deer, or what your experience with water sources are. Happy hunting to all.

Findian
500 Club

Re: Water

Unread postby Findian » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:12 pm

My guess is they are getting salt.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:01 pm

If the piece is hunted heavily I would expect that the few true fresh water sources would be hit pretty hard by other hunters. If there are not many hunters I always love hunting close to water not due to deer drinking it but due to the strategic advantage it offers deer while bedding. They like water.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:22 pm

Here in the south they will most definitely get up during the day for a drink, but when temps are around 100 degrees and humidity is high as a giraffe's they need to to stay cool. In my area they bed close to water sources for many reasons, during the summer and un pressured they will be close to water because its convenient and cooling but it also offers another level of security. I'm not sure on if they will drink brackish water though. I'd check the fresh water sources out though, if they're secluded with good cover and a lot of sign and the wind was right I'd give them a try in a hot early season afternoon.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 pm

SEOHBB

Unread postby SEOHBB » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:10 am

I always wondered about salt water, last summer i followed some fresh tracks while on vacation at the outer banks, tracks went right to the water. Saw the same path multiple mornings that week. This was the actual ocean water, not brackish or sound.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:31 am

Cannonball? No, belly flop. Nice deer.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
westmichigander

Unread postby westmichigander » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:42 am

mdshoreman21 wrote: I only ever hear them talk about hunting food sources, but what about water? How important is water to a deer? Will he get up to drink during the day. Will they bed close to water sources? Are they mainly drinking at night? .

I watched Dan's video in this thread, awesome buck and great video.

I also have similar question as the OP. You hear the bed to food often but how often is it bed to water?

I know bucks tend to gravitate towards water in general but some of those "over looked" farm (watching the access) beds, can be 100+ yds from water. I am guessing in the hotter weather days, this might deter a Big Buck from bedding there?

Have you noticed the best bedding areas be effected if there isn't a sub 50yd water source located near by?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”