Average beasts success ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Your biggest buck scores:

170 or bigger
10%
160 to 170
8%
150 to 160
13%
140 to 150
19%
130 to 140
16%
120 to 130
13%
110 to 120
10%
100 to 110
6%
below 100
4%

Total votes: 178
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Re: Average beasts success ?

Unread postby Smitty » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:31 am

I checked 120-130 maybe broke into the low 130s but those were all private good hunting grounds pre beast style since I started hunting with these tactics I’ve been learning and have 3 under my belt on public that are around the range of uncle lous deer 100-110 and I’m perfectly pleased with them!!

Haste makes waste
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:11 pm

austin1990 wrote:
VaBowKill5 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Pudster wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I don’t measure nor have ever measured a single buck I’ve killed. Always kinda felt it would take a lil away from my over all excitement and experience. I mean let’s face it scoring bucks is a big Peter contest. A descent 10 pt 2.5 year old will often dust a old grey public 8 pt. I’ve always loved this site cause it wasn’t a D measuring contest. Effort and real world satisfaction is what has always mattered. But to answer the question I would guess my avg real world buck 20 years in is in the 120s to low 140s to trip my trigger. Think a goal of 170 is possible in a lifetime of hard hunting. But again scores are for sporting events not hunting. Amen an pass the mustard :lol:

I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions about measuring deer, imho it is not at all a big peter contest. I think it is all about honoring the animal, just like a quality taxidermy job does. By having something officially measured it does more than just put a number to that animal, that data is also used by wildlife managers to assess herd health and season structure effectiveness. The clubs that are keeping the records B&C and P&Y do a lot for conservation that most people are not aware of, and the measuring program is only a small part of there club, but an essential part as it brings in new people to the club. I know its not for everyone, and thats cool with me, I just see a lot of positives from it.

Guess it depends on how u wanna look at it. For me the day they decided to put a number and score on whitetails was not a good day for hunting. What came in the years to follow was strictly a money driven sport. I’ve personally never understood p&y or b&c record books. If you got this record book specimen why do you have to pay to enter it? Seems it should be the other way around. Is there anything else to which you break a record and have to pay to enter it in “the books”? Also, why are the minimums so low? While yes a p&y minimum buck is certainly a nice deer it isn’t what I consider record book material. I wonder if the minimums would be higher if it wasn’t a pay to get your name in a book that is essentially outdated the day it’s printed.

125” is low for the midwest but there are places across the country that good hunters can hunt their whole life and never lay eyes on a P&Y. I agree with Dan when he said it should be broken down by state or region because 125 in PA is a bigger accomplishment than a 160 in southern Iowa. Just my opinion
you saying that reminded me of a hunt this fall with my dad. He grew up running dogs, that's how they hunted, had such a low population it was about the only way to ever see a deer in the pine plantations. So hes never been much for sitting on a stand, so he didnt hunt much until I got old enough to want to go and he more or less just suffered through the stand hunting til I was old enough to go by myself at 14-15. Since then he'll go huntin, once maybe twice a year and usually shoots the first legal buck he sees just for meat. This past fall on opening morning of gun he killed maybe an 75" seven point, probably a 2.5 y/o deer and he talked about how coming up and until I really started hunting that was about the biggest buck you'd see and how it used to be the average. Now a 100" deer is the average, the only difference is now more people in my area don't shoot that first legal buck they see, they wait on a better one. I dont care either way, but I try to shoot older mature deer, not going off of horn size but many do. A 100" deer here would be like a 140" in iowa and some places wouldnt even get a second look.

I’m lost.... Don’t know if this was intended for me or not. My opinion is based on what I think a “record” represents. To me it’s the cream of the crop. I don’t care what the 75,000 fastest time in your states hundred meter dash is. Who was the 1.5 million best running back, or who finished 375,000 in the home run contest.Think records should be the top 1% Yes I agree in some states a 120” deer is more of an accomplishment than a 150” in another. But feel the records should be kept by individual states. Wouldn’t even mind seeing it categorized by private/public and equipment used. Gives everyone in there particular situation something to strive for. I don’t see in fishing pay $20 to enter any bass over 3lbs in the record books. Just seems silly to me. P&y lost a lot of my respect over the lighted nock ordeal. U either have a line in the sand or don’t. When u say thou shall not qualify because thus lighted nock then later realize money lost and say come on in the waters fine. You lost me!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:12 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
austin1990 wrote:
VaBowKill5 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Pudster wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I don’t measure nor have ever measured a single buck I’ve killed. Always kinda felt it would take a lil away from my over all excitement and experience. I mean let’s face it scoring bucks is a big Peter contest. A descent 10 pt 2.5 year old will often dust a old grey public 8 pt. I’ve always loved this site cause it wasn’t a D measuring contest. Effort and real world satisfaction is what has always mattered. But to answer the question I would guess my avg real world buck 20 years in is in the 120s to low 140s to trip my trigger. Think a goal of 170 is possible in a lifetime of hard hunting. But again scores are for sporting events not hunting. Amen an pass the mustard :lol:

I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions about measuring deer, imho it is not at all a big peter contest. I think it is all about honoring the animal, just like a quality taxidermy job does. By having something officially measured it does more than just put a number to that animal, that data is also used by wildlife managers to assess herd health and season structure effectiveness. The clubs that are keeping the records B&C and P&Y do a lot for conservation that most people are not aware of, and the measuring program is only a small part of there club, but an essential part as it brings in new people to the club. I know its not for everyone, and thats cool with me, I just see a lot of positives from it.

Guess it depends on how u wanna look at it. For me the day they decided to put a number and score on whitetails was not a good day for hunting. What came in the years to follow was strictly a money driven sport. I’ve personally never understood p&y or b&c record books. If you got this record book specimen why do you have to pay to enter it? Seems it should be the other way around. Is there anything else to which you break a record and have to pay to enter it in “the books”? Also, why are the minimums so low? While yes a p&y minimum buck is certainly a nice deer it isn’t what I consider record book material. I wonder if the minimums would be higher if it wasn’t a pay to get your name in a book that is essentially outdated the day it’s printed.

125” is low for the midwest but there are places across the country that good hunters can hunt their whole life and never lay eyes on a P&Y. I agree with Dan when he said it should be broken down by state or region because 125 in PA is a bigger accomplishment than a 160 in southern Iowa. Just my opinion
you saying that reminded me of a hunt this fall with my dad. He grew up running dogs, that's how they hunted, had such a low population it was about the only way to ever see a deer in the pine plantations. So hes never been much for sitting on a stand, so he didnt hunt much until I got old enough to want to go and he more or less just suffered through the stand hunting til I was old enough to go by myself at 14-15. Since then he'll go huntin, once maybe twice a year and usually shoots the first legal buck he sees just for meat. This past fall on opening morning of gun he killed maybe an 75" seven point, probably a 2.5 y/o deer and he talked about how coming up and until I really started hunting that was about the biggest buck you'd see and how it used to be the average. Now a 100" deer is the average, the only difference is now more people in my area don't shoot that first legal buck they see, they wait on a better one. I dont care either way, but I try to shoot older mature deer, not going off of horn size but many do. A 100" deer here would be like a 140" in iowa and some places wouldnt even get a second look.

I’m lost.... Don’t know if this was intended for me or not. My opinion is based on what I think a “record” represents. To me it’s the cream of the crop. I don’t care what the 75,000 fastest time in your states hundred meter dash is. Who was the 1.5 million best running back, or who finished 375,000 in the home run contest.Think records should be the top 1% Yes I agree in some states a 120” deer is more of an accomplishment than a 150” in another. But feel the records should be kept by individual states. Wouldn’t even mind seeing it categorized by private/public and equipment used. Gives everyone in there particular situation something to strive for. I don’t see in fishing pay $20 to enter any bass over 3lbs in the record books. Just seems silly to me. P&y lost a lot of my respect over the lighted nock ordeal. U either have a line in the sand or don’t. When u say thou shall not qualify because thus lighted nock then later realize money lost and say come on in the waters fine. You lost me!

No sir I didnt intend you in my post, was just reminiscing on a memory with something VAbowkill had said. You're right though I dont get paying to enter a deer into a book that will be obsolete within a short period of time, which is why I dont have any entered and dont intend to.
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:27 pm

173" bowkill. Mid-Atantic private land.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:38 pm

Wapiti wrote:173" bowkill. Mid-Atantic private land.

Holy crap. That is huge for the mid-Atlantic
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:57 pm

My bucks in the UP are usually about 110 to 115. My bucks in SW Wis are usallay in the 130 area, which is not hard to find there.

My bucks in SE Wis, are also about 120 to 140, my biggest is 152. When it comes to seeing a lot of good bucks, its not how you hunt but where you hunt.

Its all a lot of fun............
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:47 am

austin1990 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
austin1990 wrote:
VaBowKill5 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Pudster wrote:

No sir I didnt intend you in my post, was just reminiscing on a memory with something VAbowkill had said. You're right though I dont get paying to enter a deer into a book that will be obsolete within a short period of time, which is why I dont have any entered and dont intend to.

My intension was just that in some areas 125” is not a trophy at all but in others it’s the buck of a lifetime.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:48 am

Ppl in todays world have alot to say about other ppls success. Ill say if you are avg a P&Y buck then that is something to be proud of - especially a public land hunter. Dont let anyone bring you down bc they have a piece of prime land to hunt or live in a great place.

I saw a guy post on social media he shot his first deer ever, first buck. Nice little 4pt and wearing a THP hat. The joy on that guys face was priceless. I always think about the days of having no standard and just chasing deer around having a blast.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:54 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I voted 140-150

I'm thinking my biggest is low 140s never scored it. What scoring system do you count all the deductions of Boone and Crocket or the real total inches of Buckmasters.

Some bucks get cheated hard by the Boone and Crockett scoring system.

My area varies alot in size I would say our average is 120-130. We do occasionally get some quite a bit larger.

Booners do exist here but are extremely rare think I've seen 4 in my lifetime in West Tn. Were definitely not known as a big buck state. Probably could be if we had better regulations and management.

X2! I just shoot decent 2.5 year old bucks every year. Im not dedicated enough to run cameras and make sure there’s a bigger one in the area. I’m on 100 percent public and have young children that need my time too.

West TN has good deer but it’s not a good state for booners. I got lucky pre beast and killed a 158 that was deducted down to a 143 net after a GW scored it. As TN goes it takes any buck over a net 115 archery, a 125 ML, or 140 gun to make the TN deer registry.com. It’s their way of recording trophy class whitetails. There are 2,588 total entries that go back to the early 1900s.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:16 am

Just reading thru the post here, I believe one thing a lot of the people here have in common on this site, and maybe dont realize, is that they might just be in the the upper 10%. What I mean by this is there is a saying that 10% of the hunters shoot 90% of the larger bucks. I have no idea if this is statistically accurate, but I think the spirit of the statement is definitely true. I would like to believe that a lot of the longer term members on here, or members in general on here are hunters who have either learned to be excellent hunters or are trying to be the best they can be by learning to be better, and pushing aside traditional hunting methods and ideas. I do believe that these hunters are in the minority, or the 10%. I think that for a good percentage of this 10%, shooting a 125" deer maybe isnt the most challenging task, but for the other 90+% it is almost impossible, and requires a ton of dumb luck.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 am

Almost 170” for me. I’d rather have the 169 than the 170 anyway.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:05 pm

matt1336 wrote:Almost 170” for me. I’d rather have the 169 than the 170 anyway.

When I was young and thought scores mattered, I shot a couple 124+ inch net bucks back to back.. lol
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:09 pm

dan wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Almost 170” for me. I’d rather have the 169 than the 170 anyway.

When I was young and thought scores mattered, I shot a couple 124+ inch net bucks back to back.. lol

And then ther was the: 125 1/8 mature monster, that grosses nearly 150... lol.
normal_img050.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:51 pm

tundra@1 wrote:My bucks in the UP are usually about 110 to 115. My bucks in SW Wis are usallay in the 130 area, which is not hard to find there.

My bucks in SE Wis, are also about 120 to 140, my biggest is 152. When it comes to seeing a lot of good bucks, its not how you hunt but where you hunt.

Its all a lot of fun............

I think a big thing is realizing what your big bucks are as well. By me currently, we have maybe have one 150+ buck a year and maybe another 140+. Granted it seems to be in the upswing and could change in a few years but if I see a 130 Im taking it. I could try to hold out for a 150 but the odds dont favor me and passing up a 130 just would cause more regret later on in the year.

Then you go Up North by my Gramps and if you try to hold out for a 130" buck, you will go years without shooting a bow or gun.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:17 pm

I clicked 100-110 but mine would be closer to the 100 mark. I have only seen a handful of bucks larger than that with my on eyes in the woods here in florida. Another handful on camera. I know they are out there because many are killed every year. Just seem to elude me all the time. One day we will meet up im sure though.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”