Hill Country Bedding Exit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

naternate

Hill Country Bedding Exit

Unread postby naternate » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Have been thinking a lot about how bucks exit hill country bedding lately. Located a few good bedding areas on small points coming off a main ridge and have been mulling over how I think the bucks will exit. These beds have no ag for a long distance, which I feel would make it easier to figure out. Do you guys see any tendencies to how bucks leave bedding area like this? Sidehill, straight up, straight down?

One spot in particular has a faint trail the heads straight up the point to the main ridge. It also has trails out both sides basically traveling the same elevation with some rubs right at the edge of the transition to more open woods that appear a little more used. From the layout I figure early to mid season bedding, once the woods open up more and pressure goes up probably not used.

Would love to hear everyones experiences in this type of setup, successful or not.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Bedding Exit

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Depends on the time of year.

In the south I think they drop downhill very often to go get water in early season. Not always but I've missed several bucks because they passed out of range in bottoms below me at last light.

Depends on how hot your bow season is. It's in 90s here usually.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
funderburk
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Bedding Exit

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:09 pm

Their direction of travel seems to really depend on 1) what’s on their mind at that time of season (water, acorns, scrapes, etc.), and 2) where that certain thing is located. I don’t think they care about whether they’re going uphill, sidehill (which I see most often), or downhill. My advice would be to know the area and what’s available to him. Where’s the closest water? Where’s the closest food? Is there a primary scrape or a scrape area within 100 yards of his bed? Then, determine his exit routes from bedding and start throwing sits at ambush spots along each one based on seasonal needs.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”