A few of my stories.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iowa whitetail
500 Club

A few of my stories.

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm

I started deer hunting in my early teens with my dad. It started off as more of a young kid wanting to kill but as I did it more and more I seen a few big deer people had shot and one my dad had shot years ago just sitting on the garage bench. I slowly worked myself into wanting to get a big one. I had found a big deer, well bigger than I normally see and I told my dad about him and that I'd like to get a muzzloader because I had heard they were a little better than the old Steven's shoty with a bb on the end for a sight lol. X mas day it happened, a cva something, with some cheap scope one it was wrapped up in a box. I got it all sighted in and the hunt was on. Like any other old smart deer and me having no clue what I was doing he had vanished. I walked everything I could think to walk everyday looking for this deer. Maybe someone got him? Maybe he left the country? I had no clue and had given up. I had a little rat terrier that I went rabbit hunting with all the time and we had a fresh snow last day of deer season but I had gave up on the deer so I took the dog out for some rabbit chasing. Across the road was a big brush pile that never failed us. So we get to the brush pile and guess what jumped up and ran over the hill. Yup it was the big guy. I'd never ran so fast back home to get my muzzloader. Locked the dog up and way I went. I snuck up this ditch tree line and could see a bunch of deer they didnt see me but when i got close i didnt see him by that time they were on to me and took off out of the trees i kept watching but not him. All of the sudden here he came out 75 yards trotting i pulled up squeezed the trigger but I'd forgot my safety. I looked down took my safety off looked up and he stopped 100 yards. That's how my passion all began.
Screenshot_20200629-201023_Gallery.jpg

Fast forward several years and a few big deer. I had pics of this ten point that looked almost identical to an eight pointer that I'd killed a few years back. 12 inch g1s good g2s. I named him twin ten. I set out for him for the season. This deer was different I knew him pretty well I'd let him go the year prior, he was a day walker in early season. I had the day off work, second day of our bow season. I went and sat in my stand to see if I could see him and sure enough he came down the pond edge but it got dark before he got to me. I took the next day off and planned to go deeper to get him. As I'm walking in a doe stands up 60 yards from me across a pond so I stopped and sat down hoping she would lay down or move on. Nope she just hung out and I was getting to the point I was just going to let her bust me and go when I seen antler moving next to her. Sure enough its him and he stood up 65 yards. I'm not comfortable shooting that with my bow so my only hope was he came closer to the pond to drink. After sitting behind a tiny evergreen for it felt like hours he was going to do it, no way I thought. 42 yards. He was facing me while drinking but I stayed calm and waited for him to turn and when he did I let it fly. I hit him way back the wind was blowing really hard and I didnt think about that. I watched him trot out of sight. Sick to my stomach and a sleepless night. The next morning I'm in my stand I wanted to go to waiting for sun up. It got light enough to see good but I just stayed still to see if i could maybe catch him laying down. Out of no where a buzzard flew over my head and landed 30 yards from me on the ground by the ditch. I basically jumped out of that tree. This is the straight 8 and the twin ten.
Screenshot_20200629-201007_Gallery.jpg

A deer that I compleatly screwed up on!!
This deer was named the ghost I had seen him a few times not many. A deer that drove me crazy because I couldn't figure him out. I looked and put cams out. Hardly any luck besides a few sightings and one side shed my dad found in a gate hole. Relentless me didnt give up on him and finally he showed up on my trail cam, then on another cam 1 mile away. Wow this things going to be hard to kill. I'm a firm believer in the right time to go and I was dead set on nov 1st. I completely stayed out didnt even hang a stand until nov 1. East wind? Crap I never thought about what to hunt on that wind, we dont get them much. But I picked a spot for that wind, carried everything to hang trim and then sit all day. Got the stand hung and was trimming limbs with my saw got done doing that and threw my saw down. Like everyone always does I was sitting for a sec looking around to see what the final product looked like when I heard something coming through the tall grass. It was a buck, grass was way to tall to see how big so I grabbed my rope and was pulling my bow up. Got it half way up and out steps this buck and no way, its him 7 yards broadside. Here I am the deer that's kept me up for 3 weeks 7 yards no clue I'm there and my hoyt is on a string half way up the tree to me. I let him turn around walk away and I pulled my bow up knocked one got my release on and grunted at him once. He didnt even stop just made a full 180 and right back to me. He didnt come far enough to be broadside this time. Quarter to me so I had to wait for him to turn around. When he did I let it go, facing pretty much straight away and below me. Way to far forward. I knew then I'd screwed up. That was a few years back. Hes still a ghost I assume died the next spring or summer idk. Found both sides to him and that was it.
Screenshot_20200627-215802_Gallery.jpg

One deer that haunts me to this day was a typical deer I let walk 5 different times in one year. This deer was the most incredible deer I'd ever seen and still have ever seen. He was young and in my opinion was going to be a world record typical next year. It was really hard to not hit my release everytime I seen this deer. After bow season was over i never seen this deer again. I have apsolutly no regret passing him. It would have been worse to wonder what he could have been.
Screenshot_20200629-201218_Gallery.jpg

I spend almost all of my free time on these animals. I have learned something every year. I have never read magazines and I have never watched a hunting show. Everything I've learned is from me doing it. There are a few key factors in killing big deer.
1 finding them. People think they can just go out in a tree and kill. Not going to happen consistently
2 wind. All this spray and what the heck ever stuff they have now is only fooling you. If it accually worked everyone would have big deer. If you rely on it you are hosing yourself out of killing.
3 dont miss. Easier said than done lol.
4 Persistence. Learn when to go and go everytime. I'm not a one time sit and its burnt type. I'm not saying I'm right. But I do agree first time sits are better odds. You can also sit after a buck 10 times and all ten times hes a quarter mile away and doesnt know.
Sorry for the long read the misspelling and the badd punctuation. Lol I'm a deer hunter not a writer lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uncle Lou

Re: A few of my stories.

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:58 pm

Good stuff Iowa Whitetail. Keep it coming. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Thanks for sharing your stories. Always nice to hear the inside info about the real big bucks. 8-)

Incredible animals and not easy to kill them anywhere. You have to do a lot right and make very few mistakes to consistently kill them year after year.

If you ever need a guy to cull out the stunted 150” bucks I’m your man. Have tag and will travel. :lol:
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks for sharing! Dang impressive bucks!!
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Yes! Thanks for posting and congrats!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Dewey wrote:Thanks for sharing your stories. Always nice to hear the inside info about the real big bucks. 8-)

Incredible animals and not easy to kill them anywhere. You have to do a lot right and make very few mistakes to consistently kill them year after year.

If you ever need a guy to cull out the stunted 150” bucks I’m your man. Have tag and will travel. :lol:

All of this. ^^

Great stuff!

Congrats on the terrific bucks. :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:07 pm

Wow, awesome bucks!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:07 pm

Very nice write up IW. Thanks for taking the time. Very impressive bucks :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good luck with your season this year and good luck to your kids too.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 pm

Great write up
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:20 am

Thanks for sharing!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:19 am

Awesome stuff, thank you for sharing the hunts!!! Very impressive bucks and stories

Hope you and yours have the best of safe and fun seasons this fall
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:06 pm

That’s some awesome stuff! Gets me even more fired up for September!
How bad do you want it?
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:50 pm

Good stuff! What part of iowa are you from? Im yet to see bucks that big where i hunt. I see shooters but you sure found some nice ones!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”