Who is out glassing / shining, and setting cams?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Who is out glassing / shining, and setting cams?

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:52 pm

July is usually a turning point for me where I start trying to locate shooters. Cameras , glassing, spotlights.... Who has been out searching for victims?

VaBowKill5

Re: Who is out glassing / shining, and setting cams?

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:05 pm

I’ve got the cameras out and have been glassing fields in the evenings looking for the one. I’m always amazed at how fast some develop and how much slower others come around. Been watching a 10 point that looks close to completely developed and he’s running with a bigger bodied buck that just has brows and 2’s so far. I’m getting fired up though it’s slowly approaching!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:20 pm

I got all 5 cams out. Haven’t had time to do anything else. Checked the first cam yesterday and have one good wide buck with brows and 2’s just starting.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
jmickey

Unread postby jmickey » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:24 pm

Got 3 cams set so far in some crop fields. I’ve been noticing the bucks have been showing themselves this week during daylight while glassing. I try to hit a few fields before work and in the evening when I get a chance. I’ll prob start shining here soon, it’s one thing out of my hunting obsession my wife enjoys doing so we will be doing a lot of that throughout the summer.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:40 pm

I’ve failed miserable this season, working 2 jobs and attempting to scout. Managed to locate 2 bucks that I’m going to pursue, aside from that it’s been my worst summer scouting ever. 6 cameras soaking and only 4 bucks seen on camera.... :doh:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:41 pm

I have cameras out. Spotlighting is illegal, nasty fine. Nothing but standing timber on lease. My public is mostly under water right now. Still want to get one camera in but got to wait for water go down.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:04 am

I've been out a few times, been seeing a good amount of deer. The other night I seen 3 shooter's on a new piece of public land I've been e- scouting, hopefully going to get a couple cams out this weekend.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:20 am

Getting intel every day I run into the right person. Not surprisingly, other hunters and sometimes a regular Joe have a habit of talking about the "big" buck they saw cross the road or standing in the field.
Some know what their talking about and others don't. Something I try to confirm.

Get the cameras out next week. Looking for deer every day I drive down the road and glass a couple fields from the front porch. Lucky to live where I do. Will start traveling to glass pretty soon.

I'm also getting my resume out to private property landowners situated around one of the public land areas I started hunting last year. My attempt at identifying which properties already have hunters accessing from that point and if they don't, get permission myself. Most of them are small in acreage home sites that border the public.
Shoot Straight
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:23 am

Bought myself a spotting scope for my birthday. Been out once using it for deer. Saw a bachelor group on a private field. Across the road from public. 1 decent buck in the group.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:51 am

Cams mostly so far. I’ve got some out for a September expanded season, and an October bow opener. I’m really spreading the net wider with some larger tracts of land also. I’ve listened to a few folks talk about spreading “to thin” so I’m hoping that is not the case.

Trying to increase the volume of high percentage sits. This is when deer get killed!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:58 am

Iv been glassing and shining at least a couple times a week now for about 3 weeks. Iv got a few spotted that are going to be really nice
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:25 am

Glassed a few good ones a couple weeks ago, but tough to judge since it was still fairly early. Plans are to go out again tomorrow evening to see the progress....should get a better read on frame size by now.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:16 am

Always watching and paying attention year round. Been glassing and shining since April and running cams since mid-May. It’s never too early to start and even without horns you can locate and watch patterns of bigger bodied bucks. The homebodies don’t change too much throughout the year especially in more secure areas.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:17 am

Yessir! For a couple weeks when I have time in between walleye tournaments, it’s getting close now!!
How bad do you want it?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:32 am

Cameras are starting to go out this weekend. I have been out glassing a couple times. Will start hitting it hard in July!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”