Who is out glassing / shining, and setting cams?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Who is out glassing / shining, and setting cams?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:54 pm

June I always note the increased daylight coyote pictures..... fawn killers on the prowl. It's tough to see does with 2 fawns got to one, then to no fawns. Betweens hogs and yotes we have high fawn mortality.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 am

moondoondude wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:
moondoondude wrote:It requires more and more of it every year out here than in years prior.

Care to elaborate?

There are more guys out running cameras. A lot of guys are running cameras year round as well. Cameras lead to pictures of deer and/or the killing of that deer and/or hunting pressure on the herd. The older bucks' responses to those things complicate the whole process. Property boundaries are restrictive, you can't go where you don't have permission and you can't kill what's not there.

There are more guys out hunting as well. Ground is getting harder and harder to come by, and you're almost never hunting it alone.

Hunting has evolved due to technology and the availability of information. There are less mature bucks here now, less secrets, and the biggest deer don't go unnoticed.

Thank you :clap:

I’d have to agree, more guys are doing year-round protein feed programs and planting more food plots on private adjacent to public... So all the bucks that USED to utilize the WMA’s for feed/bedding have transitioned to the private land where you can feed.. Its been challenging even finding a buck on WMA’s this summer. Whereas in years past, I’d have 7-10 bucks located that I wanted to hunt down.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:25 am

I glassed last night for the first time of the year. As soon as i seen a decent buck my elbow hit the horn lol it spooked the deer and it spooked me. Thought it was someone else for a split second lol.
AppalachianArcher

Unread postby AppalachianArcher » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:38 am

I've had cameras going since late May. I finally located the bucks I was looking for. Had been placing them on what I thought would be a good food source, with no good results. The only thing I was getting on the food sources were does, turkey, and bear. Decided to head to the spot that seemed to hold them all fall and where I had numerous daylight encouters with the bucks I was looking for. Decided to open a scrape that didn't looked to be used, and it was just outside of the suspected bedding area. Placed this camera on June 15th around 10am, peed in the scrape, and came back a week later.

The first deer that showed up was just a young doe.

06150008.JPG

I'm pretty sure this is a buck that I had plenty of pics and encounters with last season. It looks like the hair filled back in where it was missing last season.

06150032.JPG

06150045.JPG

11040124.JPG

buck.jpg

Then mama bear shows up right at dark.

06150068.JPG

Next up was a doe.

06170101.JPG

Yet, another bear.

06180114.JPG

Just a few hours later. I'm pretty sure this is the bigger buck that I had pics and an encounter with last season. I could be totally off.

06180120.JPG

06180137.JPG

06180147.JPG

06180149.JPG

11030072.JPG

01280079.JPG

Another doe.

06180166.JPG

Mr. Tom.

06190179.JPG

A new one.

06200199.JPG

I left the camera for another week. I'll be going back to pull it tomorrow and move all cameras to a new piece of public.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redz

Unread postby redz » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:50 am

Put camera number 2 out on public land yesterday evening. First time trying an elevated mount, so I'll check it in a few days for proper alignment, and if it looks good I'll let it soak for a while. Shining in my county is only legal until 9:00 pm, which is pointless this time of year, since sunset is around 8:45 :lol:
Huntin, fishin, lovin everyday...
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:01 am

I should set a cam or 2 out this week. Been a while since I’ve used one
How bad do you want it?
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:04 am

I'm gonna be ramping things up soon, traveling to my further spots. When I can I'll spend a few days in a row in these areas and really try to get shooters located. Between this and localish stuff I can do any night I'll decide where I'm spending the majority of my time come September, then its gonna be more observation stuff to narrow it down. I'll be using cams to bomb a new area and cell cams in specific spots to monitor as the season starts. Cams will be deploying soon.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:49 pm

Ack wrote:Glassed a few good ones a couple weeks ago, but tough to judge since it was still fairly early. Plans are to go out again tomorrow evening to see the progress....should get a better read on frame size by now.

Looks like it could be a fun season....made the rounds tonight and saw probably a dozen shooters near public. Three or so giants....just need to see how they end up tine-wise. Another drive in three weeks will tell that story.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Cameras have been out since May. Will check them this week to and then probably not again till season or very close to. Will start shining and glassing this week as well.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:56 pm

I started glassing last week and need to get cams on water this week. A lot of the wheat fields are being combined or have been the last week and late beens will be going in. Once those beans pop up it will make the difference in the world. I need to buy a spotting scope in the worst way with a window mount. Only problem with that is when you see a guy trying to pull off the same thing you’re doing gotta make quick moves and get that thing off the window and pull the nothing to see here routine. :whistle:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 am

I've got 6 cams out so far, and am planning on braving the bugs and the Georgia heat and humidity in a few weeks for an observation sit- our beans were planted late this year and are just starting to pop so the deer should be hammering them soon
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 am

I'm already on to a batchelor group of five. Two of them look good. Just have to wait and see what they turn into. Cams have been recently freshened up. I have several other prospects that I have to make a move on pretty soon and get a cam or two hung on them. I have a few doors to knock on also.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:13 am

I saw some yearlings stilL with their moms and sisters. Or they are still with their brother from when they were buttons last year. Probably 10 inches wide.
PackMule

Unread postby PackMule » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:42 am

1 cam out so far. Trying to get pictures of the buck that left this. Where I hunt has relatively low deer numbers. Hoping this is the buck I had a moment with last year. Found his sheds in March and judging from the sign he appears to be a bit of a social homebody. I could be wrong, that's my current hope and working theory though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:46 am

Unfortunately have not done much but everything will ramp up starting in July. It’ll come fast!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”