Who is out glassing / shining, and setting cams?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Re: Who is out glassing / shining, and setting cams?

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:23 am

Iv'e been pounding ground for the last month checking bedding areas, and scouting new spots, doing roughly 10 miles on the boots per week. I've got a few cameras out, but will deploy the majority in about two weeks. I'll start glassing in august, once the bucks are pretty well developed. Then will get really serious with the glass the last three weeks before the season, when the deer are in the ranges they'll be in for the first few weeks of the season.

I can hunt three different states within an hour of my house. There is always tons of scouting to be done. As much as I do, I feel like I hardly scratch the surface.

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:08 am

DaveT1963 wrote:June I always note the increased daylight coyote pictures..... fawn killers on the prowl. It's tough to see does with 2 fawns got to one, then to no fawns. Betweens hogs and yotes we have high fawn mortality.

We just noticed more daytime coyote sightings recently . Good time for the Foxpro caller with fawn in distress and the 7mm.08 :twisted:
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 am

Have a couple cams out on public now and One more going to a water source this week . No shining allowed here but will be driving /checking the closest ag fields soon too.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:31 am

Dewey wrote:Always watching and paying attention year round. Been glassing and shining since April and running cams since mid-May. It’s never too early to start and even without horns you can locate and watch patterns of bigger bodied bucks. The homebodies don’t change too much throughout the year especially in more secure areas.

What spotlights do you recommend?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:35 am

I have a few. One is a corded Brinkman Q-Beam and my other is a rechargeable one I bought from Menards. Can’t think of the brand right now but it’s very bright and the battery lasts surprisingly long.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:38 am

Dewey wrote:I have a few. One is a corded Brinkman Q-Beam and my other is a rechargeable one I bought from Menards. Can’t think of the brand right now but it’s very bright and the battery lasts surprisingly long.

Just looked it up. This is the one.

https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-c ... c-6314.htm
EasyEd

Unread postby EasyEd » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm

Just checked a bunch of cameras I put out 2 weeks ago. Had a few bucks on the cameras, but it seems like the bucks antlers are a little behind here in Wisconsin. Maybe I just put them out too early?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:15 pm

Going to start up this weekend with glassing and shining, as I will be out of commission for a few weeks after a hernia surgery starting tomorrow. So nothing too strenuous, but I won't stop looking.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:24 pm

I’ve seen 3 good ones so far. One is living a few hundred yards from public now but by the season the beans he’s on will be getting yellow and he should move back in where I need him to be. All my glassing has been from the road so far.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”