Taking the Challenge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Taking the Challenge

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:14 am

Decided to try something this year that I have never done. Mostly from getting motivated here by the beast family. I’m headed to unfamiliar public ground for the simple freak of it. Have searched 100s of public spots searching for what I wanted and have finally found it. My criteria was 1.) Large acreage, 2.) good topography, 3.) lots of water, and 4.) high deer volume.

The area I chose is Not known for giant bucks. But I simply don’t care. I have hunted extremely low deer number areas my entire life and quite honestly I wanna see some freakin deer!

I plan on taking a trip next week for 2 days to get a feel for the property and pick me out a few trees. I try to set realistic goals, and feel if I could just get a arrow in a doe on unfamiliar ground on a 4 day bowhunt I would be tickled pink. I also prob wouldn’t hesitate letting an arrow fly at a decent 2.5 year old and would prob consider it a heck of a trophy. Time will tell, but November 3-6 I be giving it my best shot. Thanks all for the motivation to get out there and try something diff!

Gotta test yourself everyday gentlemen. Once you stop testing yourself that’s when u get slow, and that’s when they kill ya.
-Billy the Kid-

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
KRoss480

Re: Taking the Challenge

Unread postby KRoss480 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:22 am

Good luck and enjoy the process! Took my first out of state hunt last year and loved every minute of it, can’t wait to get back up there this year. Love the challenge of figuring out new woods.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:25 am

8-)

Hunting new territory is one of my favorite things about bow hunting.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:14 am

Welcome to the dark side. Traveling to unfamiliar ground is by far my favorite thing to do. It’s such an adventure. Good luck and enjoy.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:31 am

Sounds like your on the right track for sure! Let us know what you think/find when you scout. I soley hunt private ground but there are some other guys who hunt it aswell. I have scouted some public close by but wasnt seeing much sign. I really need to get after it harder on some public ground. The beast family sure makes hunting public sound way more intriguing then ive give thought too. I fell into the trap that private is better but i sure dont think that anymore. Good luck!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:09 am

Good luck. I expect to see a stringer full of deer. :mrgreen:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:13 am

Moose wrote:Sounds like your on the right track for sure! Let us know what you think/find when you scout. I soley hunt private ground but there are some other guys who hunt it aswell. I have scouted some public close by but wasnt seeing much sign. I really need to get after it harder on some public ground. The beast family sure makes hunting public sound way more intriguing then ive give thought too. I fell into the trap that private is better but i sure dont think that anymore. Good luck!

Certainly will amigo! I prob hunt currently a 50/50 split of public to private. Although my situation makes me find forms of public in ways other than typical wmas or national forests.

Just have grown sick of of non real expectations in the real world. You got guys claiming giant floppy eared public bucks in high pressure states that not another sole can get on camera. Then have idiots make excuses for them. Sounds like Sasquatch tales to me....Then u got guys who have killed one good buck on “Daddy’s” private ground with a rifle there entire life who are some how an authority on public hunting. Dan made it popular but not so many speak the truth.

Im going on a mission of “One mans non BS journey. No endorsement deals, no sponsors or help a brotha out. Real world win, lose, or draw what happens.
-John Wayne-
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:18 am

8-) :clap: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:33 am

Good luck man! Trophies are what you make them, just enjoy the experience!
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:37 am

I agree 100%! I live in the so called fantasy land of Iowa. And yes theres tons and tons of deer. Pressure isnt even close to the more populated states. Even on awsome deer hunting ground you still have to fool the big bucks. They dont just fall into your lap. I know guys that have hunted there whole lives and have killed very nice bucks but a MONSTER buck is a once in a lifetime buck in my opinion. Dont get me wrong this is one of the states for consistency but you still have to HUNT!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:00 pm

Good luck brother! Will you be you doing a bit of a journal and tie it into this post about your prep work, sleeping arrangements and scouting and add it to this thread as it accumulates?
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Good luck!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:06 pm

punching tags can be a trophy in certain situations. I love traveling to unknown lands. Good luck Amigo
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Good luck brother! Will you be you doing a bit of a journal and tie it into this post about your prep work, sleeping arrangements and scouting and add it to this thread as it accumulates?

Prob won’t include it in my journal unless I luck into some kind of hero shot. Will include my strategy in this thread which I pretty much already have made up. But will confirm once I get boots on ground.

No big secret with me or surprise if I fail. It takes me time to find the right spot. Just keeping it real, but even getting a doe with a bow in the real world on a 4 day hunt in unfamiliar territory is a heck of an accomplishment for me. I picked a spot with similar terrain as I’m used to hopefully to give me an upper hand but who knows.

Haven’t planned out my sleeping arrangements yet but will include when I figure it out.

Thanks for the kind words fellas
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:13 am

Well, just got back from a 2 day scouting mission on the public I had in mind. Didn’t go as smoothly as the vision in my head. Ran into a lot of problems and wasted a lot of valuable time. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate scouting in the thick, hot, summertime :lol: I don’t mind monitoring or spot checking during this time. But going in completely blind is a real pita.

I had a predetermined area I wanted to start at which required water access. First big problem! None of the locals would give me permission to park at there house on the water and throw in my float. Closest public boat ramp is miles away. Scratched that plan.

Next major problem I ran into, was that the sweetest looking spots on a topo were wide open. I also wasted a lot of time following ridges and ditches that just petered out and didn’t lead to or from anything. Also locating major food sources was way tougher than I’m accustomed to. In my home area there’s a lot of ag to make this much easier. Didn’t wanna waste anymore of my limited time trying to crack food source. So I went for what will force movement.

Picked 1 spot where a feeder creek cuts into the main creek.

Picked spot 2 where this long slew cuts through the timber than just dies out. Looked like good action should come around the head of that and there’s a nice big dogwood in a good spot to slap my lone wolf.

Spot 3 is a low spot on the perimeter fence coming of private. Currently spot is getting hammered with deer traffic. I spot check it when I go to hunt and see if that’s only summer time (non pressured) movement.

Would like to have found more than 3 spots but I didn’t. I also don’t have that confidence of knowing I have found the best spot on the place and when. But I’m gonna stick with this place until I do. Maybe takes two years and maybe 10. But sooner or later I will find it and that’s when the good times start to roll.

The evidence of pressure really surprised me. Was expecting some serious stuff based on the acreage size, high deer number area, and allowing firearms. Will say there was a heck of a lot more trail markers found than on my small public. But truth be told they were still in the same type spots all right next to each other.

I don’t have the highest of hopes for this and as I stated a doe on the ground would make me happy. But I’m gonna stick with it and see how it goes. Next year I will put a lot more effort into it before spring green up. That’s it for now, will return in November and see how it goes.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”