Drought Conditions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ButtonBuckFever

Drought Conditions

Unread postby ButtonBuckFever » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:00 am

We've got a long way to go until the opener but are in a drought in CNY. Last year was my first diving into the swamps and marshes and it was a very wet spring and summer. I've got a lot to learn about this terrain.

If this does turn out to be a dry year, what have you guys noticed about deer bedding, movement, etc. that you can tie to less water? I'm guessing it will somewhat concentrate the deer to the wet. Other than that, I have NO ideas.

Just wonderin'

Ryan549
500 Club

Re: Drought Conditions

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:39 am

Very dry here in upstate NY- not good for my well or my plots.
Ryan
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:29 pm

One place I hunt on public is still under about 2.5 feet of water. Has been for about 2 months. I should be able to get a camera in there around middle July if we do not get anymore heavy rains.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:One place I hunt on public is still under about 2.5 feet of water. Has been for about 2 months. I should be able to get a camera in there around middle July if we do not get anymore heavy rains.

Where are you?
Ryan
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:53 pm

Ryan549 wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:One place I hunt on public is still under about 2.5 feet of water. Has been for about 2 months. I should be able to get a camera in there around middle July if we do not get anymore heavy rains.

Where are you?

South East Arkansas
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:
Ryan549 wrote:

Where are you?

South East Arkansas

I've got some spots I'm wanting to put cams, but just like you theres been to much rain and its flooded. I'm just glad it hasn't rained this week, but already rain forecasted for next... I did manage to hang 2 cameras already though with the help of hip boots.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:33 am

We are dry in ND right now. Trail camera on my water hole in the backyard shows deer hitting it about every 2-3 hours 24 hours a day. I’ve got the only water for at least 1 mile and it’s secluded so it gets lots of action. This will change when the corn and sunflowers grow up enough to hide deer. If you can find an isolated water source which has cover, in an area near bedding, it’s almost a sure thing from what I’ve seen.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”