Year round bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rmallen
Facebook: Roth mallen

Year round bedding

Unread postby Rmallen » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Does anyone ever see bucks bedding in an area year round?
I have any area off the beatin path that can be easily glassed from afar. I suspect it’s mainly used when the pressure is on. I just wandered how many guys see bucks get locked into an area year round?

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Year round bedding

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:51 pm

I don’t “see” bucks using a bedding area year round but I do see buck beds that get used year round. From my experience they need to have a consistent enough food source within a half mile or so.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Only time I’ve ever witnessed anything close to what you are describing involved half tame deer in the burbs or rental cabin type deal with limited woods.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:44 pm

I’ve seen the same big bucks in the same spots time after time year after year not the whole year around because I don’t look year around. It’s usually where there is good food with great habitat. Near big swamps they can escape into and very good private land
Rmallen
Facebook: Roth mallen

Unread postby Rmallen » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:49 pm

So just out of curiosity I went to the glassing point and did observe deer even early in the even 7:30-8:30 going into the areas. I didn’t have my spotter so if they had horns they weren’t big. It has everything a deer should need away from people. Multiple ponds with isolated cover in the form of shrubs, briers, a really wet ditch filled with willows, springs in the middle of a second year burned grassland lots of legumes. I’ll have to check it later in the summer to see if there are any bucks early. I’m sure when pressure is high they will be in there because I didn’t even want to go there so why would anyone else? Like three semi huntable tree. Thanks for the input I’ll keep you posted.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”