Scent Stream- Ground vs. 20 ft up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

Scent Stream- Ground vs. 20 ft up

Unread postby Hatchetman » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:11 pm

Let me give you a scenario and you tell me what you think.

Hunting with the same wind,on the same day, in the same spot, so all conditions Identical.
Only difference is, one option is you're 20 ft up in the tree in a stand or saddle,the other option is you're on the ground sitting at the base of that same tree. a deer passes 30 yds. downwind of you. Which setup will give the deer the biggest nose full/ dose of your scent?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Scent Stream- Ground vs. 20 ft up

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Terrain, time of day, and weather conditions! High on a ridge line on a calm sunny morning is a different animal than last hour of daylight under same conditions.
For conversation I will use the scenario I provided. If morning is what we’re talking than high in a tree is my friend. If late evening is the topic then I would rather be farther down the ridge on the ground below expected travel.
For flatland I pick 20’ up every time.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Terrain, time of day, and weather conditions! High on a ridge line on a calm sunny morning is a different animal than last hour of daylight under same conditions.
For conversation I will use the scenario I provided. If morning is what we’re talking than high in a tree is my friend. If late evening is the topic then I would rather be farther down the ridge on the ground below expected travel.
For flatland I pick 20’ up every time.

Nailed it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Scent streams often follow terrain at ground level. I have had scenarios where milkweed flows right over a deer up in the wind stream and the deer do not notice you... Ground level it seems to hit the deer in most scenarios. I hunt both ways and get busted off the ground a whole lot more than from a tree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”