Tips on new deer lease in Northern Louisiana

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CShipp

Tips on new deer lease in Northern Louisiana

Unread postby CShipp » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:07 am

hey guys, so me and my family just pulled the trigger on a new deer lease in Northern Louisiana. The property is around 650 acres and consist of old farm land that went into a crp program and was planted with oaks about 10 years ago. The crp oaks is VERY thick There is also a bayou running through the entire property that has mature hardwoods on both sides of it. Some of these mature hardwoods "fingers" actually branch out about 300 yards into the young oaks. There are also 2 mature hardwood "islands" that are isolated in the middle of the think crp planted oaks. Ive checked out both of these so called islands and have found that there is actually small ponds in the center of them and bedding on the parameters of them. Also, id like to add that the property is surrounded by mature hardwoods to the north and west, corn and bean fields to the east, and finally a river to the south. This is my first time hunting these terrain features and id appreciate any tips on: finding bedding, best tactics to hunt these beds, and how y'all think the deer are using these specific terrain features. I know this is a very specific question but feel free to chime in!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
-Aldo Leopold
Ghost Hunter

Re: Tips on new deer lease in Northern Louisiana

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:43 am

Sounds like a good place. I would have to get in there and start walking and looking. :clap:

Glad you joined us.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
CShipp

Unread postby CShipp » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:32 pm

Me and my brother got to go check out the property this past weekend. That Crp stuff is so think and I’m really intrigued to learn how the deer utilize it.
-Aldo Leopold
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:36 pm

I deal with a lot of crp just across the state line in Mississippi. The deer love it, but it can be a pain in the rear to hunt. Look for any different terrain features or something that may cause the deer to funnel into a certain area. Sometimes you can see better sitting on the ground in nasty stuff like that.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
CShipp

Unread postby CShipp » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:45 am

KRoss480 wrote:I deal with a lot of crp just across the state line in Mississippi. The deer love it, but it can be a pain in the rear to hunt. Look for any different terrain features or something that may cause the deer to funnel into a certain area. Sometimes you can see better sitting on the ground in nasty stuff like that.

thanks!
-Aldo Leopold

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”