Grunt calling beast style...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Hunter

Re: Grunt calling beast style...

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:48 am

That buck that came running. He locked up at 8:09, something not right!?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:49 am

I like the ending :L:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Two years ago I called in two bucks and took the risky frontal shot. Both made it 50yds. They came in looking just like in your video
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Great video. I have never had luck grunting or rattling.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:59 pm

8-)

That's kind of been my experience with calls too. Often they don't work, but I do have a few bucks on the wall that came in and I killed them....good tool to keep in the deer hunting tool box.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:54 pm

I was expecting Infalt-signature grunts fueled by Taco Bell.

Did you aim low on the deer you shot? It almost looked like he jumped the string,
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:17 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:That buck that came running. He locked up at 8:09, something not right!?

Video has a way of flattening terrain. If you look close where the 1st buck stopped is where he crested a hill and could see the area he heard the grunt... If you watch the second buck he stopped where I shot him, at the opening where he stopped to look for the grunter...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:23 am

greenhorndave wrote:I was expecting Infalt-signature grunts fueled by Taco Bell.

Did you aim low on the deer you shot? It almost looked like he jumped the string,

On alert deer coming into a call that is stopped looking around on edge I tend to aim at the vitals, but I aim low... The shot was perfect, and the buck did drop into the shot. The lack of blood seemed to be due to a thick layer of fat
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:57 am

Your use of grunts are exactly as I have experienced. Desperation calls, that sometimes lure him in, sometimes send them packing.

It was late last night when I was laying down watching. Piper the pug heard you on TV and was full alert watching. She knows your videos often has a buck she can bark at and chase!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:38 am

backstraps wrote:Your use of grunts are exactly as I have experienced. Desperation calls, that sometimes lure him in, sometimes send them packing.

It was late last night when I was laying down watching. Piper the pug heard you on TV and was full alert watching. She knows your videos often has a buck she can bark at and chase!

Piper is a good dog...
eazyduzit94

Unread postby eazyduzit94 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:32 am

Great video Dan! I was hoping you would touch on the tone of the grunt calls. Everyone says I'm full of it but I've never had luck with real deep, aggressive grunt calls. All of the mature and non-mature bucks I've grunted in came in to the younger, less aggressive sounding calls. I have noticed this in high deer density areas as well as low density areas. I suppose it's because no one wants to get their but kicked, even bucks haha

Also, I may have missed it in the video but I've noticed turning your head away from the direction of the buck and grunting has brought a few in a little closer for me to get a shot.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:17 am

I’ve had zero luck using a buck grunt alone. Adding a buck grunt and following it with a doe bleat has brought many bucks charging in to me. It’s awesome watching them bristled up and posturing looking for a fight!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:08 pm

arrowbender must have missed this, so I just sent him a text.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:51 pm

You are spot on Dan.
If you can't get the deer to stop, cup his ears and look your direction, 95% chance he just didn't hear you...
So many times it's because he's making too darn much noise himself to pick you up.

But to me, the absolute most important aspect of success at grunting in a buck is that second grunt.
I call it the "Confirmer "
You talked about it, but I'd like to expand on it a little. Mainly, it's just the fact that you have to be really ready, and tuned in to the deer.
The call should be to your mouth, hands cupped slightly,& tube pointed off to one side and the volume has to be just right.
To pull it off, most times, you have about 1 second from the time he starts to swing his head back towards center and before he lifts that first foot to go on his way to get that sound, clearly & uninterrupted to his ears. This is super critical especially if you have dry, crunchy conditions.
If you call too soon, he'll pin you.If you call too late he'll make that first step, drown out your call and continue on his marry way and you'll be telling all your buddies, "Yeah, I grunted at this really nice buck this morning and he just wasn't interested"...

Most times this "confirmer" grunt will be delivered with considerably less volume than the first grunt you gave to get him to tune in, but it shouldn't be too soft either. You definitely want him to hear it.Also, very important, keep this grunt short with a sharp stop to the end. This does two things. makes it harder for him to pin point your exact location if your a little early on the call and also speaks the language of aggression to the deer,and if he's in the right mood, it should get him to commit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”