Getting Hunting Permission

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucksquad1

Getting Hunting Permission

Unread postby Bucksquad1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:09 am

When does everyone think is the best time to get out and ask for bowhunting permission?

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Getting Hunting Permission

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:20 am

January-March, but it's tough no matter when. I got so tired of people saying no, I moved to a state with way more public and way less people :lol:
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:15 am

I’m sure there are still places where you can knock on doors and get permission but I’ve personally never gotten a yes. Every time I’ve been on private land for free I got permission through a personal relationship. I think your best chance is through networking with friends and acquaintances.

I know that’s not an answer to your original question so here is one. If you are going to a farm for permission, keep in mind that they are busy guys most of the year. The best times are probably over winter or late summer right before harvest time.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Bucksquad1

Unread postby Bucksquad1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:22 am

Thanks for the advice, It's a tricky topic lol. I'm right on the border of pa and Ohio. I hunt public and private in PA and just public in Ohio. Seems alot easier getting permission on the pa side of the road than the Ohio side haha
CritterGitter4

Unread postby CritterGitter4 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:31 am

One thing that I have been doing with some decent success is using social media to get access. For example, where I am located at in SW Wisconsin, there are a lot of landowners from the Chicago area. I will find these landowners on onX, then locate them on Facebook and shoot them a private message. I have done this five times and got permission on three properties (all less than 40 acres). I am always sure to leave my phone number at the end of the message and try to word the message the best I can. I think it is worth a shot!
4 the chase

Unread postby 4 the chase » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:19 pm

I've only gotten permission to hunt private land once. Had to marry the guy's daughter. Worked out pretty good.
bruno1

Unread postby bruno1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:34 am

Farmers here found out what the price of admission is to their land and are getting huge money for leases now. Day of permission is long gone and the locals hate it
Cottonmouthcity
Facebook: James Hunt

Unread postby Cottonmouthcity » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:59 am

I have always had decent luck doing this on small properties 40-150 acres. In my area it is usually older couples and they are old school, the wife takes care of the house, the husband works. I have legit driven by the same house multiple times waiting until there is not a truck in the driveway but usually a car or fancy SUV. Which usually means the wife is home. I always dress decent but not a suit and tie. I then politely introduce myself and proceed with small talk, that usally leads to some type of connection whether it be knowing a friend or family member of mine. I say wait to talk the wife because I have been able to charm a few of them, and while they may not be able to have the final say, they will usually put in a good word. Make sure they get your information down but do not be pushy about getting theirs but politely ask. Also do not be in a rush to get a yes or no answer, I have had talks that lead to permission that take 5 minutes or 2 hours, just keep everything friendly and do not be in a hurry. Also volunteer to help them out doing yard work or odds and ins around. Last season i helped one owner roof his house for 2 days, boom, duck lease secured.

Think of it this way, if you can go into a bar, see a pretty girl and go talk to her and she does not tell you to get lost, you can get permission for hunting land. Thats not always talking to her directly, sometimes you have to talk to her friend first before she accepts your presence(see talking to the wife tactic). But either way you are working to the same goal.

By the way this is not always a sure thing, I may knock on 10 doors before I get permission to hunt one property, but it is usually worth it.
Look sharp, act sharp, and be sharp, but don't be an idiot and cut yourself.
Cottonmouthcity
Facebook: James Hunt

Unread postby Cottonmouthcity » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:16 am

Two more things, start off w9th tell them you would just like to bowhunt(espcially if they do not know you, you can always ask permission later to gun hunt once they have gotten to know you).

And second is family, my wife hunts also and I say it would just be me and occasionally my wife they seem to like that. I do not have kids yet but I already plan on locking down some spots once little man turns 3 and I can take him to knock on doors with me.
Look sharp, act sharp, and be sharp, but don't be an idiot and cut yourself.
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:18 pm

4 the chase wrote:I've only gotten permission to hunt private land once. Had to marry the guy's daughter. Worked out pretty good.

awww... you too bought the cow :lol:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:01 pm

This land is your land, this land is my land
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:47 pm

Sometimes I bring my young boys with me. I introduce them to the landowner- when there is a negative connotation to hunting, I feel it is necessary to show people the true meaning...”I’m looking for a safe place to get my boys out in the woods with me during BOW season”

I always start with bow only, not a big gun hunter anyway, but people feel safer with that. The topic of gun will come up later and they may just say yes.
Ryan
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:57 am

I ask permission in the area I have lived my entire life and confess things get tougher each passing year. Here lately I lose more permission than I get. A couple other reasons than just money. Much land around here is being sold for development which puts me on the outs. Also areas being cleared for livestock has screwed me quite a bit.

My high percentage permission spots these days are places no hunter in there right mind wants. 4 or 5 acres of abandoned farm house country grown over in god forsaken brush and weeds. Often to close to a F.m. road to allow Gun hunting. These type spots give me about a 75% chance of party down. However, some don’t even have deer and others just don’t set up for a legit opportunity. But I do find a gem now and again.

Anything else for me boils down to 3 things: 1.) Your willing to pay more than anyone else to get access. 2.) Land owner is wealthy and cares nothing of money but really like you. 3.) You have something they want and you work a trade. Other than that it’s slim Pickens and more of an auction than anything. I seek permission as soon as I see/hear something that peaks my interest.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:42 pm

I asked the same farm for close to a decade sporadically through the years , they told me no multiple times. I then let them know I’m willing to help them farm....bingo, I’ve been hunting the farm for around 15 years . We just put 600-650 bails of hay in the barn this past weekend . Labor is always appreciated on a farm!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”