Big bucks bedding low in big hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kcbuckeye22

Big bucks bedding low in big hill country

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:58 am

I live in the Ozarks, grew up in the SE Ohio Appalachian foothills. I have been thinking back to where I've jumped big bucks. I thought deeply about it and made a list. A pattern I couldn't disregard was that a small pattern of nice mature bucks were bedded in the valleys. It was 15% of these bucks were bedded in these locations which were very similar, and these bucks were some of the bigger deer. These valleys were at 1/4 to 1/2 mile long and about 70-110 yards wide. The ridges on both sides had at least a 100ft rise. Another key point was all these valleys were the access points. The deer could smell you(rising thermal) coming unless you side hilled one of the ridges, however with the narrow valley at some point should spot you.

Has anyone else seen this? Thoughts?

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Big bucks bedding low in big hill country

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:17 am

I have observed bucks traveling the lower part of the ridge in the afternoon which I presume to be because of falling thermals. Are you jumping them in the mornings or afternoons?

I have also observed bucks traveling from another area and bed down again....bed for a half hour or so then get up and move on. I hypothesize that they had just finished eating and were doing the deal with their cud.

Knowing when you jumped them could help determine if it was the primary bedding location or just a stop off on the way to one place or another.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:43 am

10-3 midday. Some was during the hunting season and some was during spring and summer. I use the valleys and ditches to leave less of a footprint of my access. Most of the time it surprises the heck out of me, since I am not expecting deer to be bedded in those areas. I've never linked these areas as bedding areas, but only by jumping a deer from those areas. I only checked out a couple of those beds and there wasn't signs of prolonged use. My end conclusion is that these bucks must be using these low beds because of the rising thermals. Possible pressure from human access on the ridges above has pushed them into the valley below. I cannot recall the wind conditions of those days, which could be helpful.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Where I hunt I find the bedding lower on the hillside in some areas. Top third in other areas.

One of my favorite buck bedding areas is on a very small overlooked slope that is barely above the lowest swamp bottom.

Pressure on ridges will push bucks lower.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:17 am

One Early October on Ohio public , I witnessed a bachelor group that was bedded near some ponds in a low cattail thicket . One of the bucks was a 130s 8 point . Temps were still pretty warm and I was thinking it was cooler for them to bed in that valley .
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:03 am

E72 wrote:One Early October on Ohio public , I witnessed a bachelor group that was bedded near some ponds in a low cattail thicket . One of the bucks was a 130s 8 point . Temps were still pretty warm and I was thinking it was cooler for them to bed in that valley .

Was gonna say they may bed lower because it’s out of the sun and cooler. Especially if a creek running through
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:54 am

Kcbuckeye22 wrote:10-3 midday. Some was during the hunting season and some was during spring and summer. I use the valleys and ditches to leave less of a footprint of my access. Most of the time it surprises the heck out of me, since I am not expecting deer to be bedded in those areas. I've never linked these areas as bedding areas, but only by jumping a deer from those areas. I only checked out a couple of those beds and there wasn't signs of prolonged use. My end conclusion is that these bucks must be using these low beds because of the rising thermals. Possible pressure from human access on the ridges above has pushed them into the valley below. I cannot recall the wind conditions of those days, which could be helpful.

Nice observation

I have seen this more than a few times and in my exp most of time its early season as mheichelbech pointed out. Early on the thermal effects are different in some areas w high humidity and thick vegetation changes things compared to Nov. Once the leaves fall, temps drop and pressure rises they almost dont have a choice but to re-locate to thicker / higher terrain. It obviously varies by each situation.

However, as you mentioned - the terrain and access/pressure is a major factor as well. One thing to focus on is how the surrounding ridges are setup. Bowl shapes will create effects that make it a rock solid setup for the deer and ridges that are tight quarters to each other create blow-back or off winds. On a map you would guess he is there on a certain wind but it could be essential for him coming from the opposite direction. Drainages / ditches / cuts are also good spots for them.

Rut beds can also be in odd spots bc they will bed to intercept or watch their does. If there is tall grasses in the bottoms, that is also another good reason for them to bed low. But again, once the frosts start those grasses will lay over and not be very good cover. Once it starts to get cold, predators are on the move much more and they like walking the bottoms checking for scents.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”