Tim talks north woods scrapes...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matt corcoran
Facebook: Matt Corcoran

Re: Tim talks north woods scrapes...

Unread postby Matt corcoran » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm

Great job, I liked seeing you walk past the night time sign I get hung up on it time and again.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:28 pm

Matt corcoran wrote:Great job, I liked seeing you walk past the night time sign I get hung up on it time and again.

Thanks! The bucks do the majority of scrapes during the night hours, but certain ones get daylight attention. It’s not an exact science but you can figure out tendencies over time. Once you know the scrapes that have daylight activity, there is a good chance you can see that happening around the same time period each year.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:06 pm

KLEMZ wrote:I am bumping this thread because I stumbled across some new mapping information that might help someone. Knowing the location of overgrown logging roads in the northwoods (those not on maps or kept open by people), is an important opportunity to find hidden travel corridors where mature bucks travel and make scrapes in daylight hours.

Lidar hillshade views have the hi resolution detail to show all manmade changes to the landscape...including logging skid roads from 125 years ago. Well, I just noticed that Caltopo has a big portion of the country covered with the hi rez lidar hill shade views. However, it is not 100% coverage. Look at the picture and you can see the difference between the left side detail and the right side. The right side is the standard detail of normal google terrain view, the left side is Lidar generated detail.

Check out your hunting area and see if it is in the Lidar areas. This is located in Caltopo in the "Normal" view.

Where are you finding that layer in caltopo? Looks like the area i am scouting right now is covered, but I can't find that layer in the map layer menus.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:04 pm

Trout wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:I am bumping this thread because I stumbled across some new mapping information that might help someone. Knowing the location of overgrown logging roads in the northwoods (those not on maps or kept open by people), is an important opportunity to find hidden travel corridors where mature bucks travel and make scrapes in daylight hours.

Lidar hillshade views have the hi resolution detail to show all manmade changes to the landscape...including logging skid roads from 125 years ago. Well, I just noticed that Caltopo has a big portion of the country covered with the hi rez lidar hill shade views. However, it is not 100% coverage. Look at the picture and you can see the difference between the left side detail and the right side. The right side is the standard detail of normal google terrain view, the left side is Lidar generated detail.

Check out your hunting area and see if it is in the Lidar areas. This is located in Caltopo in the "Normal" view.

Where are you finding that layer in caltopo? Looks like the area i am scouting right now is covered, but I can't find that layer in the map layer menus.

If you hit the layers button top right corner it's the "normal" under the base layers tab.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”