Access upwind of bedding area-how close?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Access upwind of bedding area-how close?

Unread postby JonNc » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:00 pm

I have one spot that I have scouted and gotten pics of deer that has led me to believe a good bedding area is just south of a property I have permission to hunt. The only access is from the north. I have a couple spots picked out that I'm very excited about for a S wind.

I have also found another spot that looks great, that I could hunt on a just off wind. A N wind would put my scent just east of where I expect them to be bedded. However, to get to this spot I have to access from upwind if it's a N wind. I would be crossing from W to E to access this spot so I'd only be upwind a short time. I have read in the past that Dan will just get several hundred yards away and not waste any time crossing that zone of being upwind and sometimes it's worth it to get to that great spot.

I was just wondering if others have experience risking being upwind for a brief period of time to access a spot they believe could could be worth it knowing that once you're set up your wind would be ok. Any suggestions on this type of set up?

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Access upwind of bedding area-how close?

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Sounds like a dicey setup. You are looking at all the key factors IMO. It’s a big decision with an area like this. You might be best with an observation set gain intel then move in for kill next day.

On a S wind would the deer exit S or is the food N on the property you have permission to hunt?
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Access upwind of bedding area-how close?

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:18 am

I was just reading an article by DR Ken Nordberg. He was talking about approaching a clear cut bedding area obviously from down wind but also another way in was "no less than 200 yards" if approaching from upwind.

So if you absolutely must approach from anywhere upwind, try and keep it to a few hundred yards minimum and hopefully it doesn't mean you're busted.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”