Hunting public featuring Ranch Ferry

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Hunting public featuring Ranch Ferry

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri May 29, 2020 1:13 pm

On youtube. High FOC heavy arrows. I'm sold. Love the sarcasm too.

stash59

Re: Hunting public featuring Ranch Ferry

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Fri May 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Nobody seems to have as much data on their side as Mr. Fowler and Dr. Ashby. At least not that I can find.

I was just looking at the Sirius Archery Ranch Fairy kit on my work computer when I saw this post on my phone.

I've shot 3 blade Muzzys since I was a child but I'm dying to try a heavy single bevel this year.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri May 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Was working on my arrows today. Really excited to try it out.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:39 pm

I’m doing it. Got some 250 and 300 spine arrows. Some heavy inserts and a couple different broadheads. Just got some 150 cutthroats in the mail. I’ll be experimenting this summer. I’m shooting for something in the 550-600 grain range. This is the start of my prep for the ‘22 elk and mule deer hunt! Bare shaft tuning will happen soon.

One thing the guy at day six suggested to me was that to get a broadhead with those bleeder blades on it. Too bad I already ordered the cutthroats. I’m sure they’ll work just fine. They. Are. Sharp.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri May 29, 2020 4:38 pm

Just my opinion, but I think the pendulum is swinging a little far in the opposite direction on this. Before I get crucified, I've read the Dr. Ashby stuff, and there's no denying the data. However, with modern archery equipment, I think a lot of guys can be accurate out to 50-60 yards on vital sized targets. However, if you start shooting "adult arrows" or "magnums", then you end up with an arrow trajectory that looks like there should be a pot of gold at the end (that's a bad joke/metaphor for rainbow). There's a lot LESS room for range estimation errors and a much greater need to range or possibly repeatedly range the target with a rangefinder and you end up moving around a lot more to hopefully get a good range and a good shot.

Again, just my opinion, but if anyone that is on the adult arrow bandwagon plans on western hunting in the semi-near future, just realize a lot of opportunities occur over 30 yards. I think an arrow weight in the 450-500gr range is a good compromise of upping the FOC and still maintaining decent trajectory at hunting distances.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 pm

On November 3rd, 2019 I lost my second “would be” biggest buck ever due to an unseen obstacle, causing a massive deflection. I found Troy on Archery Talk and slowly bought into his concepts.

I’m now shooting 250 spine GT’s with 200 grain SS Ethics inserts, either tipped with a Magnus BuzzCut SerRazor or an Iron Will S100. ~655 grains and ~21%FOC, and I’ve never shot better groups in my life.

The key aspect, in my opinion, is the bareshaft and nock tuning. Without perfect bareshaft arrow flight that is tuned to YOU, it doesn’t matter if you’re shooting 900 grains or 300, you’re losing KE/MO.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:14 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Just my opinion, but I think the pendulum is swinging a little far in the opposite direction on this. Before I get crucified, I've read the Dr. Ashby stuff, and there's no denying the data. However, with modern archery equipment, I think a lot of guys can be accurate out to 50-60 yards on vital sized targets. However, if you start shooting "adult arrows" or "magnums", then you end up with an arrow trajectory that looks like there should be a pot of gold at the end (that's a bad joke/metaphor for rainbow). There's a lot LESS room for range estimation errors and a much greater need to range or possibly repeatedly range the target with a rangefinder and you end up moving around a lot more to hopefully get a good range and a good shot.

Again, just my opinion, but if anyone that is on the adult arrow bandwagon plans on western hunting in the semi-near future, just realize a lot of opportunities occur over 30 yards. I think an arrow weight in the 450-500gr range is a good compromise of upping the FOC and still maintaining decent trajectory at hunting distances.

This is what the guy at day six said too. That why I’m not going nuts with the foc and why I’m experimenting this summer.

Btw....the guys at day six (arrows and broadheads) are a great source of info. I talked to Brian (I think that was his name) for almost an hour about arrow set up, broadheads and America. He picked up on the first ring, no automatic answering service. Great guy and it looks like they make a great product.
If you’re in the market for arrows, you might want to consider day six. I believe they are based in CO.
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Sat May 30, 2020 12:54 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Just my opinion, but I think the pendulum is swinging a little far in the opposite direction on this. Before I get crucified, I've read the Dr. Ashby stuff, and there's no denying the data. However, with modern archery equipment, I think a lot of guys can be accurate out to 50-60 yards on vital sized targets. However, if you start shooting "adult arrows" or "magnums", then you end up with an arrow trajectory that looks like there should be a pot of gold at the end (that's a bad joke/metaphor for rainbow). There's a lot LESS room for range estimation errors and a much greater need to range or possibly repeatedly range the target with a rangefinder and you end up moving around a lot more to hopefully get a good range and a good shot.

This is a very reasonable opinion. Personally, I won't be shooting more than 30 yards at animals, so I'm curious how much my trajectory will be affected at those ranges. Only time will tell. I'm certain that I don't have perfect arrow flight with my current arrows, so I'm definitely looking to experiment a little.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat May 30, 2020 12:57 am

I'm also completely changing my arrow and broadhead setup this year. I agree with deer most modern compounds could shoot a butter knife through if you have good shot placement, but what appeals to me about the message ranch fairy is selling is your arrow is still gonna mess stuff up when your shot placement isnt perfect. I'm also a sound freak and want to see how quiet my already silent bow is when I jump up from my current 480gr arrow to something in the 550-600gr range.

I worked in an archery shop for a few years after high school in the early 2000s and my mentor at the time preached cut on contact heads and heavy arrows, so I've always gravitated to more traditional setups away from faster setups and expandable, though I have played with them.

I dont think I am ready to go single bevel, I suck at sharpening broadheads which is why I've been shooting slick tricks the past few years, but am probably going to end up going to magnus stinger or black hornet buzzcuts this year.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat May 30, 2020 1:10 am

You make valid points, but if a guy is only shooting a max of 30 yards, like myself, it is good to pack as big of a punch as possible.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 30, 2020 3:54 am

I agree... alot of bull elk hang up between 40-60 yards. So a bowhunter needs to decide whether you don't want to "waste" those opportunities? But 1st each hunter has to be honest about. Whether they're capable of consistently making those length of shots. If not why not go heavier.

Something alot of elk hunters don't realize and or forget. Is when a bull does come in close, under 30 yards. They often only give you a frontal or more likely a quartering to shot. Combine that with these "closer" opportunities often occurring in thicker cover. In the heat of the moment. We may get a deflection. So, again, do you want to "waste" these opportunities? Or risk a bad wound from a deflection. If not go heavier.

If you also have a deer, or more specifically a mule deer tag. This could further complicate things. You can often stalk to within 40-50 yards of decent mulie bucks. With their smaller vitals. At those ranges. Misjudging the yardage by 2-3 yards could make a big difference in whether or not you eat tag soup. Even without "adult" arrows!

I think 500 grains or less is too light for elk. My old setup was a 77# bow, shooting about 510 -520 grains of total arrow weight. Not sure on FOC, but it wasn't much. Never had any pass throughs. In fact never even came close to punching out of the far rib cage. Yes every bull I hit in the lungs I recovered. But with Shane Simpson's dog deer tracking data. That, recovery rates increase dramatically with total pass throughs. That's something that all bowhunters should strive for, IMHO!

I would need to try it. Or should say you all should try it. Cause I can no longer draw a "man" bow. But I think a 550-600 total grain weight arrow would be a good compromise for a western setup. But with as light of a shaft as possible with an EFOC or UEFOC arrow. One usually has alot more time on those 40+ yard shots. So using a rangefinder on th animal should get one a precise range. Ranch Fairy has a vid about a kid shooting a 33 pound super short draw bow. Shooting 33% FOC in his arrow. Blew clean through a very large Midwestern whitetail doe!

And yes Troy recommends 15 yard = or - shots. With these extremely light draw weight setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38MbFP_zXG4&list=PLsLRIsmsaiq7QQLFLjHwRLChnklsM2c6T&index=2&t=0s
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Sat May 30, 2020 4:01 am

shoot a cut on contact broadhead and you don't need to go that heavy. I stay in the 450 range because I am hunting deer not cape buffalo
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sat May 30, 2020 8:54 am

I am curious about just how the increased arrow weight will effect the arch of the arrow trajectory.

In a rifle the ballistic coefficient and weight of the bullet determine how much it drops down range.

For example a lighter bullet might have less drop for the first 2-300 yards but then hit much lower than a heavier bullet once it gets out to 4-600 yards.

I would like to know if the same concept would apply to arrows. I suspect there would be some similarities.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:40 am

I shoot a very heavy arrow but I tip it with a rage hypodermic. I’ve shot lots of broad heads and from my experience if you hit them right they are dead. However there are 3 ways of looking at a quartering to shot which is where majority of this argument comes from. 1 is shoot a super heavy single bevel and try to put it thru the blade but if you hit the bone itself it’s iffy on wether you’re gonna Drive thru it. 2 shoot a heavy arrow with a rage and put it just behind the shoulder. In this scenario you get one lung/liver and in my experience I’ve found all of these deer dead within a few hundred yards but I always give a few hours to expire. Option 3 is don’t take a quartering to shot which is probably the most ethical and responsible decision reguardless of what you shoot because anything can happen. Not knocking anyone’s decision but I myself have had great luck with the rages because I avoid the shoulder. I think you just have to be able to think logically about what you’re shooting and use your best judgment but there’s pros and cons to both.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”