Hunting public featuring Ranch Ferry

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brad_d_shoots

Re: Hunting public featuring Ranch Ferry

Unread postby brad_d_shoots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:24 am

Jdw wrote:I am curious about just how the increased arrow weight will effect the arch of the arrow trajectory.

In a rifle the ballistic coefficient and weight of the bullet determine how much it drops down range.

For example a lighter bullet might have less drop for the first 2-300 yards but then hit much lower than a heavier bullet once it gets out to 4-600 yards.

I would like to know if the same concept would apply to arrows. I suspect there would be some similarities.

You only need to get behind a bow and shoot heavier arrows to realize how much the trajectory changes. The pins on my sight, going from a 350 to 550 grain arrow, are MUCH more spread out. The 20 yard pin moved down a bit, but the 30, 40, 50, and 60 all spread out A LOT. And my bow shoots those arrows at about 270fps at that.

jmickey

Unread postby jmickey » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:28 pm

I’ve spent the past few months experimenting with different arrows and tuning with higher FOC. I must say I am very pleased. I jumped in right away and built myself a high FOC arrow. I ended up using a 27” carbon to carbon 300 spine rampage that weighs about 690 grain fletched. I’m getting bullet holes at 10 yards through paper and tuned at 20 on a 3D target with a 225 field point and 200 grain stainless insert. Pretty extreme but I figure what the heck, I’m pretty excited to give them a go. They are dead quite and fly like darts. Image

After building an arrow for this upcoming season, I decided to build a high FOC arrow for 3D this summer. Myself and a bunch of other friends get together about once week and shoot a few different courses in a buddy’s back yard with about 18-20 targets. I didn’t want to show up shooting almost a 700 grain arrow so I decided to drop in spine. I tried a 330 hex and a 400 hex. The 330 was shooting bullet holes a little close to 600 grain which isn’t what I wanted so ended up settling with a 400 spine that weighs 485 grain at 23 percent FOC and let me tell you. Not only is my arrow out penetrating every other arrow on every shot but my accuracy improved wayyyy more. I’m sure some of it has to do with a straight flying bare shaft but I’m sure the FOC helps as well. We are also shooting longer range up to 65yards. I have shot them at 75 and didn’t have a problem dialing them in Image
Not every shot out penetrates like the pic shows, but it’s a good example of what the higher FOC does.
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks for checking out the video! It's kind of similar to scent control debate in some ways - there are people who have success with one method and others who don't. Doesn't mean either is right or wrong. It's all about finding something you have confidence in.

My arrows are currently around 625 grains after diving in head first with Ranch Fairy. We're going down to hunt pigs with him later this month and will hopefully have more videos on the subject.

I think people need to focus less on the extreme heavy arrows and more about the process Troy (Ranch Fairy) uses to tune his setups. The bareshaft tuning, nock tuning, insert tuning videos on his channel were all very helpful for me and they worked. I did everything myself in the garage last summer and am by no means a professional. Ended up with arrows that absolutely fly like darts. That was the most exciting part for me - this was the first time I did everything myself and got great results with my arrow flight.

If you can get past all the heavy arrow hooplah you'll find lots of useful info. He's pushing high FOC and heavy arrow weight for sure but more importantly - perfect arrow flight, structural integrity of the arrow/broadhead combo, and SUPER sharp broadheads. Seems like those are the common denominators for all those who are successful across the spectrum.

I went from about 480 grain FMJ's to 625 grain Spartans. Main reason I did that was because I'm going elk hunting this fall and I'd prefer to shoot around 600 for them. I think 500 - 550 grains with higher FOC is a perfect setup for whitetails. Ranch would also agree that 550 is a great spot to be. Main thing is to focus on the three things above. We also don't take shots past 30 yards at whitetails so the drop on the slightly heavier arrows isn't a big deal. I was using two pins for them before with my FMJ's and am still using two pins now with the 625. Dead on at 20 and 30 with both pins. Only difference I've seen is the pin gap is slightly wider than it used to be.

Here is how I see the long distance shot issue - Once you get past 40 yards, the hunter needs the exact range regardless of what arrow setup they're shooting. For example, if you range a bull elk at 55 yards and can accurately shoot that distance with either setup, what difference does it make if one drops more than the other? I hear the argument that there is less room for error with the lighter arrows but IMO that only applies if you don't know the exact range. And on a shot that far, do you really need to be taking it if you don't know the exact range? My answer would be no. Not trying to rile anybody up here - that's just my reasoning on it.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 am

20200604_134748.jpg

Bare shaft at 20 yards :doh: :doh: :doh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:31 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:20200604_134748.jpg

What happened?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:35 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:20200604_134748.jpg

That’s why they make all those extra dots on the target. ;)

I stopped shooting at the same spot many years ago. Carbon arrows are too dang expensive.

Unfortunately I’m a very slow learner. :doh:

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 am

Ah... Robin Hooded it. :doh:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
eazyduzit94

Unread postby eazyduzit94 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:54 am

I just ordered a bunch of stuff to start setting up my heavier FOC arrows after watching the videos. Not going to go to Troy's "Magnum" extreme but hoping to get into the lower to mid 500's. I think a lot of people miss the point why Troy goes that heavy on arrows. He's hunting hogs mostly and whitetails occasionally. He explains his reasoning in many of his videos.
If shooting 130's was a sport, I'd have a gold medal.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:57 am

greenhorndave wrote:Ah... Robin Hooded it. :doh:

Yep...bare shaft Robin hooded my fletched arrow...at least I think I will be good with my broadheads, which I'll check soon.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:31 pm

Aaron1987 wrote:Thanks for checking out the video! It's kind of similar to scent control debate in some ways - there are people who have success with one method and others who don't. Doesn't mean either is right or wrong. It's all about finding something you have confidence in.

My arrows are currently around 625 grains after diving in head first with Ranch Fairy. We're going down to hunt pigs with him later this month and will hopefully have more videos on the subject.

I think people need to focus less on the extreme heavy arrows and more about the process Troy (Ranch Fairy) uses to tune his setups. The bareshaft tuning, nock tuning, insert tuning videos on his channel were all very helpful for me and they worked. I did everything myself in the garage last summer and am by no means a professional. Ended up with arrows that absolutely fly like darts. That was the most exciting part for me - this was the first time I did everything myself and got great results with my arrow flight.

If you can get past all the heavy arrow hooplah you'll find lots of useful info. He's pushing high FOC and heavy arrow weight for sure but more importantly - perfect arrow flight, structural integrity of the arrow/broadhead combo, and SUPER sharp broadheads. Seems like those are the common denominators for all those who are successful across the spectrum.

I went from about 480 grain FMJ's to 625 grain Spartans. Main reason I did that was because I'm going elk hunting this fall and I'd prefer to shoot around 600 for them. I think 500 - 550 grains with higher FOC is a perfect setup for whitetails. Ranch would also agree that 550 is a great spot to be. Main thing is to focus on the three things above. We also don't take shots past 30 yards at whitetails so the drop on the slightly heavier arrows isn't a big deal. I was using two pins for them before with my FMJ's and am still using two pins now with the 625. Dead on at 20 and 30 with both pins. Only difference I've seen is the pin gap is slightly wider than it used to be.

Here is how I see the long distance shot issue - Once you get past 40 yards, the hunter needs the exact range regardless of what arrow setup they're shooting. For example, if you range a bull elk at 55 yards and can accurately shoot that distance with either setup, what difference does it make if one drops more than the other? I hear the argument that there is less room for error with the lighter arrows but IMO that only applies if you don't know the exact range. And on a shot that far, do you really need to be taking it if you don't know the exact range? My answer would be no. Not trying to rile anybody up here - that's just my reasoning on it.

Great stuff, Aaron. What states are you guys elk hunting this year?
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:08 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Ah... Robin Hooded it. :doh:

Yep...bare shaft Robin hooded my fletched arrow...at least I think I will be good with my broadheads, which I'll check soon.

You’re doing it right Neil. Lol
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:02 am

Shot a bunch of bare shafts through paper this morning trying to figure out my best handload

IMG_20200606_103030_766.jpg

Gotta go help family with some chores but will shoot the three best spine/weight combos more when I get home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:25 am

Trout wrote:Shot a bunch of bare shafts through paper this morning trying to figure out my best handload

Gotta go help family with some chores but will shoot the three best spine/weight combos more when I get home.

You have a consistent right tear with all combinations. Move the rest left and you should see an improvement in a lot of those groups. I doubt you have much issue after that other than what’s your preference from that point.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:34 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:
Trout wrote:Shot a bunch of bare shafts through paper this morning trying to figure out my best handload

You have a consistent right tear with all combinations. Move the rest left and you should see an improvement in a lot of those groups. I doubt you have much issue after that other than what’s your preference from that point.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I have another sheet of paper like this from last night but shot at 21' and at 65lbs, same deal but longer right tears. I've been kind of hesitant to adjust it cause my current setup shoots bullet holes and I'm in a summer 3D league- but I will bite the bullet to be sure of things before I order more shafts for hunting. Worse case, I fletch the test shaft and use it for 3D till I get more arrows ordered. I only need one arrow anyway :D
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:26 am

Just got a couple shafts and point test kits. Should be interesting.
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”