Ken Nordberg Whats your opinion on his videos

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Ken Nordberg Whats your opinion on his videos

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu May 28, 2020 4:46 pm

I have watched many of Ken Nordbergs you tube videos, I really enjoy them and think he is a class act, but I question some of the things he states as fact. He talks a lot about measuring deer turds to age a deer, I dont see how this can be done with any degree of accuracy, as this can be so variable by diet, health, stress etc. I get a kick out of his enthusiasm and passion for hunting. Just wondering what others think?

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Ken Nordberg Whats your opinion on his videos

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri May 29, 2020 4:53 am

You have to take EVERY youtube personality with a grain of salt... Even Dan. Because what works for them in their neck of the wood - may not play ball in yours. Use it as a data point, but there are no laws or absolutes when it comes to chasing wild animals.

Some people swear by moon phases... That despite nearly EVERY peer-reviewed scientifically conducted GPA radio collar study firmly establishing there is zero correlation between the moon phase and deer movement. But people choose to believe. Some people choose to shoot light arrows with flappy blades and moving parts. That despite the preponderance of evidence that says this is not the best choice. But yet people still do it.

Basically - do what you're confident in. Because that confidence probably does more for your success than the moon or what broadhead you choose. Or any number of other things we could discuss. Such as the size of a deer turd...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri May 29, 2020 5:06 am

I agree with PreBan... and I would say that if someone has been studying poop for decades, you should probably listen to it. I know some has been what he’s observed in the wild but some has been from game farms or farms that essentially had “pet” bucks like the one that would come to get peanut M&Ms from him when he would crinkle the bag. So I think he’s actually seen them dump and then viewed the scat afterwards. Like PB said, it may not hold true everywhere, but a whitetail is a whitetail. I bet there is little variation by region.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri May 29, 2020 5:14 am

Pudster wrote:I have watched many of Ken Nordbergs you tube videos, I really enjoy them and think he is a class act, but I question some of the things he states as fact. He talks a lot about measuring deer turds to age a deer, I dont see how this can be done with any degree of accuracy, as this can be so variable by diet, health, stress etc. I get a kick out of his enthusiasm and passion for hunting. Just wondering what others think?

I like Mitch Hedberg better.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 29, 2020 5:18 am

Nordberg is up there in age now but I would listen to what he says. The guy has done more big buck research and has more experience than most of us ever will in our lifetimes. I followed his writings for over 25 years now and have learned so much about reading sign and buck behavior well before this Beast hunting stuff. Obviously everything he says may not apply to your specific hunting situations but never discredit anything before actually applying it. Anybody with a good amount of experience is worth listening to. There are always little tidbits of valuable info within that are extremely valuable.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri May 29, 2020 5:37 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Pudster wrote:I have watched many of Ken Nordbergs you tube videos, I really enjoy them and think he is a class act, but I question some of the things he states as fact. He talks a lot about measuring deer turds to age a deer, I dont see how this can be done with any degree of accuracy, as this can be so variable by diet, health, stress etc. I get a kick out of his enthusiasm and passion for hunting. Just wondering what others think?

I like Mitch Hedberg better.

I used to do drugs. I still do but I used to too...
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Fri May 29, 2020 6:03 am

Dewey wrote:Nordberg is up there in age now but I would listen to what he says. The guy has done more big buck research and has more experience than most of us ever will in our lifetimes. I followed his writings for over 25 years now and have learned so much about reading sign and buck behavior well before this Beast hunting stuff. Obviously everything he says may not apply to your specific hunting situations but never discredit anything before actually applying it. Anybody with a good amount of experience is worth listening to. There are always little tidbits of valuable info within that are extremely valuable.

Very true, I have even found that tidbits of valuable info can be found from some fly by night you tube hunters, but with them you have to sort thru the bs. I just find his videos so much more enjoyable than watching an episode of Drurys, or Bone Collector type shows.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri May 29, 2020 6:04 am

Pudster wrote:
Dewey wrote:Nordberg is up there in age now but I would listen to what he says. The guy has done more big buck research and has more experience than most of us ever will in our lifetimes. I followed his writings for over 25 years now and have learned so much about reading sign and buck behavior well before this Beast hunting stuff. Obviously everything he says may not apply to your specific hunting situations but never discredit anything before actually applying it. Anybody with a good amount of experience is worth listening to. There are always little tidbits of valuable info within that are extremely valuable.

Very true, I have even found that tidbits of valuable info can be found from some fly by night you tube hunters, but with them you have to sort thru the bs. I just find his videos so much more enjoyable than watching an episode of Drurys, or Bone Collector type shows.

Agreed. He does a lot of situation breakdowns that others don’t.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:14 pm

I really like Ken Nordberg.

Some of his strategies I think are great some not so much. He definitely understands how to hunt the terrain around him.

Obviously not all tactics work in different types of terrain and locations. I do think he has less hunting pressure and he can sit stands multiple times and focus more on food with the hard winters in a Northern climate.

Hunting pressured public in the south is a very different experience. Here food is everywhere those setups just don't work here in the south.

I have learned some things from his videos and admire him. He is a master of hunting the type of terrain he hunts.

Same with Dan and swamps that's just what he does.
How would they do in Mississippi , Texas or East Tn mountains. Depending on where you hunt it is different each with their own set of challenges.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:26 am

Pudster wrote:

All of this ^^^^!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Sat May 30, 2020 11:04 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:You have to take EVERY youtube personality with a grain of salt... Even Dan. Because what works for them in their neck of the wood - may not play ball in yours. Use it as a data point, but there are no laws or absolutes when it comes to chasing wild animals.

Some people swear by moon phases... That despite nearly EVERY peer-reviewed scientifically conducted GPA radio collar study firmly establishing there is zero correlation between the moon phase and deer movement. But people choose to believe. Some people choose to shoot light arrows with flappy blades and moving parts. That despite the preponderance of evidence that says this is not the best choice. But yet people still do it.

Basically - do what you're confident in. Because that confidence probably does more for your success than the moon or what broadhead you choose. Or any number of other things we could discuss. Such as the size of a deer turd...

I agree here!
I coached H.S. Football for 35 years. When I started I was eager to learn everything I could about coaching it.
My first clinic a prominent Head Coach from Texas said, and I’ll never forget, “if you get just one thing from this three day clinic that you can use to make your team better. Then it was a success.”
My first class while for my Masters degree my professor taught us to gather as much information as we could and learn to decide which is most plausible. He wanted us to learn how to spot information that is good and real and to also spot the stuff that was a sideshow.

My point here is get as much info as you can.
Figure out that which is good And that which is not so good.
And, apply it to you and your situation.
Getting educated is never a bad thing as long as you’re getting a good education.
I believe that this site is a good education with a boat load of pretty darn good educators!
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:25 am

I have learned a ton from Dr. Ken. I think that he does over simplify a little bit. The turd thing especially. That said he is pretty correct with it. I have measured a ton of turds. The fawns are consistent and the yearling deer are as well. I feel like things take a turn when bucks get to 3.5. The length has a tendency to separate itself. Not to say if you see a 1.25 inch turd that you know a large buck was there, it's just not like that. On the other hand, if you find a bed and close by are 15 piles, and the average length is on inch plus, it is time to start reading the other sign. Follow the exit trail and see what you see. Here is the interesting part. With a certain degree of accuracy you might be able to identify the deer by scat.......knid of.......during a consistent feed to bed season of the year. Once they start feeding heavy on corn, beans, and mast it all changes. During the rut coke can clumps can be an indicator, but I don't believe the only bucks clump stuff...........Like someone else said, you have to take these guys with a grain of salt, Dr Ken has been preaching the same research for 25 years now and I think he is a little overconfident with some of the conclusions, but don't let that scare you from learning what there is to learn..............Lastly, holy cow, people get worked up over this topic. Not so much here, but other places where people like to be jerks.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:08 am

Scratchman wrote:I have learned a ton from Dr. Ken. I think that he does over simplify a little bit. The turd thing especially. That said he is pretty correct with it. I have measured a ton of turds. The fawns are consistent and the yearling deer are as well. I feel like things take a turn when bucks get to 3.5. The length has a tendency to separate itself. Not to say if you see a 1.25 inch turd that you know a large buck was there, it's just not like that. On the other hand, if you find a bed and close by are 15 piles, and the average length is on inch plus, it is time to start reading the other sign. Follow the exit trail and see what you see. Here is the interesting part. With a certain degree of accuracy you might be able to identify the deer by scat.......knid of.......during a consistent feed to bed season of the year. Once they start feeding heavy on corn, beans, and mast it all changes. During the rut coke can clumps can be an indicator, but I don't believe the only bucks clump stuff...........Like someone else said, you have to take these guys with a grain of salt, Dr Ken has been preaching the same research for 25 years now and I think he is a little overconfident with some of the conclusions, but don't let that scare you from learning what there is to learn..............Lastly, holy cow, people get worked up over this topic. Not so much here, but other places where people like to be jerks.
[/glow]
I dont belong to any other forums any longer, This is the best forum I have ever been on, mostly due to the wide range of info, but it is also moderated very well!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”