Shooting stick tips

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Shooting stick tips

Unread postby JonNc » Wed May 13, 2020 7:25 am

I bought some shooting sticks a couple years ago and rarely use them, but there are a few scenarios I thought they could be helpful. When target practicing, I noticed that often my shot placement would be high. I was shooting a 30-06 when shooting for reference. Does anybody have tips on shooting from a shooting stick or know why this would seem to be the case? The rifle was fully sighted in and would hit bulls eye when shooting from a traditional rest so I know it was user error.

Wolfshead
500 Club

Re: Shooting stick tips

Unread postby Wolfshead » Wed May 13, 2020 10:47 pm

I’m not an expert by any means but I use shooting sticks often.
I believe what you are experiencing is that you may be placing the rifle on the sticks too close towards the muzzle - too far forward.
By doing this the “fulcrum” is too far forward (as you lean into the stock) allowing the muzzle to rise as you fire.
Try placing your rifle on the sticks closer to your shoulder so the fulcrum is closer to you see test the results.
I also lean the sticks towards me a little so when I lean into the stock it is a little more solid for me, if that makes sense.
Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”