Hill Country | Sharp/Steep Crest vs. Rolling/Shallow Crest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swwave24

Hill Country | Sharp/Steep Crest vs. Rolling/Shallow Crest

Unread postby swwave24 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:58 am

I was thinking back on some of my more frustrating hunts over the past several seasons in the hills of SW Wisconsin.

It was much easier to hunting sharp/steep crest crust, due to more predictably wind tunnel. With my tree stand set ups being able to blow over the wind tunnel in these situations, much easier as well.

Rolling/Shallow crest have be frustrating overall. Seems as if the wind and thermals are less predictable. Seems as if my wind swirls quite a bit. Seems as if I can’t get my stand high enough to get my wind to blow over deer.

How are others setting up in these instances? Hunting in calm/light wind? Set up in the evening when thermals are going down? Set up early in morning before thermals rise?

:think: :think: :think:

backstraps

Re: Hill Country | Sharp/Steep Crest vs. Rolling/Shallow Crest

Unread postby backstraps » Thu May 14, 2020 2:11 am

The sharper military crest are more predictable and used more consistent

The long rolling slopes are so inconsistent, that bedding along these slopes changes often.

Different wind speeds and thermal pull makes gentle rolling hills tough to predict/hunt

As for how or when I hunt these hills... for sure I like a constant wind pattern, and speed over 7-8*+mph. I prefer to hunt evenings, as close to suspected bedding, I hunt as high as I need to, to allow my milkweed to clear over the path I suspect the buck to come in on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”