How far?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Quest1001

How far?

Unread postby Quest1001 » Thu May 07, 2020 12:52 pm

How many yards off the trail do you ideally like to set your stand? How many trails do you try to cover?

Last year as a bow hunter I got my but kicked. I think I set my stands too high up and in trees without enough cover. I hunted mostly field edges bc I didn’t really know where the bucks were bedding but I had an idea of where they were entering the field so that’s where I tried to set up. No luck. The does always seemed to pick me off visually or they caught my scent.

I would like to push in deeper this year and am curious about your thoughts on the first two questions. The time period would be October and November.

Mgaspari

Re: How far?

Unread postby Mgaspari » Thu May 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Question 1: comfortable shooting range 15-25 yards

Question 2: hunting does - as many as possible, hunting a buck - the trail I believe he will use

Suggestion: get off the field edge
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks for the input! I’m definitely getting into the woods and trying to hunt a parallel trail or bed to feed trail if possible
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Fri May 08, 2020 1:43 am

It can be tough and confusing at first especially if your breaking habits from years of doing it. You WILL figure it out eventually, just don’t give up and realize you are trying to kill an animal that will stand in front of a car moving 65mph. :P
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 am

Mgaspari wrote:It can be tough and confusing at first especially if your breaking habits from years of doing it. You WILL figure it out eventually, just don’t give up and realize you are trying to kill an animal that will stand in front of a car moving 65mph. :P

Haha good point! I just wish they wouldn’t make me feel so dumb sometimes. :lol:
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:34 am

I like to set up 12-20 yards covering the trail with the best sign. The trail is on my left side so i can shoot it sitting down. I would rather sit in the thick and see nothing then sit on the edge of the field and see 10 deer I cant shoot. The sign will tell you where they are entering the field. Don't get me wrong an observation sit is good but shouldn't take but a couple and i try to cover more then one field with in one sit.

Just remember There are seeing Deer spots and there are killing seer spots.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:43 am

This year, I am developing extreme ground tactics. I have changed my weapon of choice to a cross bow, and spent considerable time with it. Using it for turkeys, it is more deadly than a shotgun. I can easily shoot a turkey out to 55 yards with precision, in a field, with my present set up.

I will adapt this system to deer,,,, I also do not hunt fields, but this weapon has extended my kill range, without a doubt. I have been hunting and practicing in the hill country of Vernon County Wis. With a trigger sticks, and a guille suit, shooting mostly down hill, its a deadly system......

Being on the ground, is a disadvantage, to being in the tree, but when you can extend your distance, with good accuracy, the disadvantage is closed, in many ways.

If I am not in Hill Country, anywhere else, I hunt where it is a crap hole and wet.......
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:00 am

Tribute80 wrote: I would rather sit in the thick and see nothing then sit on the edge of the field and see 10 deer I cant shoot. The sign will tell you where they are entering the field.

Just remember There are seeing Deer spots and there are killing seer spots.

I agree. Last year I gained some good insight into where the deer are entering the fields and I have found sign and trails inside the swamp/woods that I think I can get a shot off if one walks by. The bedding seems to be about 60 yards from the field edge so who knows if I’ll blow them out getting in.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sat May 09, 2020 3:44 am

About getting in, without blowing them out. When I was younger, I would think nothing of getting into a stand at 230am or so, and wait till day light............. If I have a hot morning area now, sometimes I will put up and brush in a hub style blind, (known area and prior to season).... Get into the blind, in the afternoon,,,, no action, no problem, again, I am planning on a morning hunt, so I just sleep in the blind all night, and in the am, or very first lite, I am in, without them spooking, since they came back in there, while I was taking my siesta,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, worked like a charm last year,,, again, though, this was a known morning spot, in a great bedding area,,,,,,,,,, got to do, what you have to do

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”