Scouting pressure in west Wisconsin

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AustinPape
Facebook: Austin pape

Scouting pressure in west Wisconsin

Unread postby AustinPape » Wed May 06, 2020 9:21 pm

I’m from eastern Iowa and our season doesn’t open till October 1st. I wanna try some public in Wisconsin which starts mid September. My plan is focus early season in Wisconsin and switch to Iowa during pre rut. I’ve been looking at some public around the lower Wisconsin state riverway and amazed how different it is from 20 minutes east of the Mississippi. I don’t see any ag fields like I’m used to so I’m not sure what to look for as far as food sources, open Crp fields and acorns? Also I’ve never hunted it before so I’m not sure what the pressure looks like in the fall. There’s not any that require hip waders or is landlocked because a lot of the public is higher in elevation and has a couple access points. Just wondering if any of you are familiar with the area and could send some tips or techniques for scouting hunters. Thanks in advance!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting pressure in west Wisconsin

Unread postby dan » Wed May 06, 2020 9:33 pm

AustinPape wrote:I’m from eastern Iowa and our season doesn’t open till October 1st. I wanna try some public in Wisconsin which starts mid September. My plan is focus early season in Wisconsin and switch to Iowa during pre rut. I’ve been looking at some public around the lower Wisconsin state riverway and amazed how different it is from 20 minutes east of the Mississippi. I don’t see any ag fields like I’m used to so I’m not sure what to look for as far as food sources, open Crp fields and acorns? Also I’ve never hunted it before so I’m not sure what the pressure looks like in the fall. There’s not any that require hip waders or is landlocked because a lot of the public is higher in elevation and has a couple access points. Just wondering if any of you are familiar with the area and could send some tips or techniques for scouting hunters. Thanks in advance!

I hunt that area quite a bit... forget about the food sources for now and concentrate on bedding and the trails leaving bedding. Scouting now is much better than in season, but you can figure a lot out by looking at topo's and aerials. bedding and hunting positions are mostly based on terrain, its easy to figure out but what you can't see from a map is pressure... I do my best in that area by scouting a lot while hunting. checking spots I scouted in the past, and checking spots I found on maps and not stopping till I find good sign. its a great and over looked area to travel to as a destination.
tundra@1

Re: Scouting pressure in west Wisconsin

Unread postby tundra@1 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:51 pm

Well you will get a cheap license, and you do not have to buy points...........................

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”