Hunting Arrows

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Re: Hunting Arrows

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed May 06, 2020 2:32 pm

Screenshot_20200505-211203_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20200505-211209_Messages.jpg

Regular gold tip hunter or whatever they are, compared to the kenetic pierce platinum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu May 07, 2020 4:26 am

CHECK OUT DEER CROSSING ARCHERY

https://deercrossingarchery.com/collect ... ter-series

I switched to them about 6 years ago. I use the hunter series. IMO They shoot just as tight as my black eagle PS target arrows. Their prices are very fair compared to other big name companies. You can get 1/2 dozen or dozen or however many made exactly how you want configured in any combination of fletchings/wraps/colors. There is a spine chart available to help you select what you need for your setup. I have no affiliation with them I just really like them and after going thru so many brand names over the years I've been sticking with these. I''ve had some seriously bad luck while hunting with other arrow brands. Many of them you're just paying for a name. Other arrows I've shot deer and had thread inserts fall out, fletching fall off, arrow shafts split while target shooting. These arrows have never done any of that for me in 6 years. Very reliable.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu May 07, 2020 12:14 pm

Arrow Length- I prefer going 1” shorter than my draw length for adequate broadhead clearance
Brand.. Doesn’t matter, I like Gold Tip personally but you won’t go wrong with any big name arrow company.

Make sure your bow is tuned, spin test your arrows/broadheads, bareshaft/nock tune the arrows then fletch and paper tune again. Broadhead tune for the final test, they should be flying like darts.

Just remember, a poorly tuned $19 arrow will never out perform a properly tuned $5 arrow
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
BuffaloBill

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue May 12, 2020 6:00 am

I've been shooting the Easton Axis 5mm for the past few seasons. Don't see myself changing for a while. You could order them them through Lancaster Archery. They will cut them for you as well. You can add brass inserts to up the weight if you want. But mine are a little over 400 grains with the standard insert cut at 26.25".
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue May 12, 2020 10:10 am

Robert wrote:
Tribute80 wrote:Gold tip air strikes 300 with 150gr insert. Is this years arrow I’m using. I have had luck with Easton axis and the cheap speed freak arrows from Walmart, but wouldn’t recommend them. I had some poor penetration with them. Don’t get me wrong you hit them in the right spot every arrow could get the job done. I miss too much so I’m going with something with some weight this year.

So I called 3 different bow shops, I can't go because they're all closed because covid, I gave all 3 my draw length and draw weight. 2 of them recommended the Easton axis 5mm. The other recommended to stay with some sort of carbon express. I shoot 62 pounds at a 29 inch draw.

I'm shooting Easton Axis 5mm with the 50gr brass insert and 125 grain heads. This setup gives decent point weight/decent FOC, without sacrificing a ton on trajectory. I'm shooting 63lbs at 29" draw, so similar specs to you. I got full pass through and good penetration into the ground on 3 of 3 deer this year. I'm not saying they are the best arrow, but they are good enough for me.
Last edited by seazofcheeze on Tue May 12, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue May 12, 2020 10:11 am

Double post
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed May 13, 2020 12:14 am

Iv been shooting Easton Axis 5mm since 2014 and dont see myself switching for a long time.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:40 am

250 is pretty light/?????????????????? I shot the Full Metal Jackets for a long time, after they quit making ACC's. However last year, I tried the Axis, like others here, and was very pleased. I believe the arrow is the key to any bow, and I like a heavy arrow, over a speed arrow any day..... My archery shop, never closed, just went to appointments, thru this time of covid 19....

I have shot Carbon Express and also Gold tip, both make good shafts. Found the weakest to be CE..........
Benny

Unread postby Benny » Fri May 15, 2020 12:13 am

Twenty Up wrote:Arrow Length- I prefer going 1” shorter than my draw length for adequate broadhead clearance
Brand.. Doesn’t matter, I like Gold Tip personally but you won’t go wrong with any big name arrow company.

Make sure your bow is tuned, spin test your arrows/broadheads, bareshaft/nock tune the arrows then fletch and paper tune again. Broadhead tune for the final test, they should be flying like darts.

Just remember, a poorly tuned $19 arrow will never out perform a properly tuned $5 arrow

I’ll be going on my 3rd year with my bow and 4th year hunting. I’ll admit that I have no idea where to start and my head is spinning lol. I need to get on YouTube and learn this stuff. Thanks for unknowingly giving me some terms to search for in your 2nd paragraph.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri May 15, 2020 12:22 am

I am another GoldTip guy. I've been shooting them since I switched from aluminum MANY years ago... 20+ years I think?

The arrows have never failed me.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:41 am

350 VIP elites for me. I stuck the heavier insert on this for this fall also thinking about getting a 200 grain single bevel head. That should get me into the mid 500 grains. Hopefully it works with the test arrows I’m making.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri May 15, 2020 10:32 am

Benny wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Arrow Length- I prefer going 1” shorter than my draw length for adequate broadhead clearance

I’ll be going on my 3rd year with my bow and 4th year hunting. I’ll admit that I have no idea where to start and my head is spinning lol. I need to get on YouTube and learn this stuff. Thanks for unknowingly giving me some terms to search for in your 2nd paragraph.

Glad I helped.

Look up “Ranch Fairy” on YouTube if you haven’t heard of Troy already. He’s a great guy and has a lot of step by step videos on the processes listed above. I have spoken with Troy multiple times and he’s been nothing but helpful.

I’m no arrow guru myself but I have learned a lot from smarter folks.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Whitetailhunter63

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 am

I shoot easton FMJ's and couldn't be happier. Pair them with a lighted nock and its a great heavy hitting arrow
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:09 pm

matt1336 wrote:350 VIP elites for me. I stuck the heavier insert on this for this fall also thinking about getting a 200 grain single bevel head. That should get me into the mid 500 grains. Hopefully it works with the test arrows I’m making.

Well after watching the ranch ferry vids I’ve discovered that 350 spine is too much. I think I was a flapper or slapper or something like that according to him. I like to tinker so day six has a $28 test pack that gives you two different spined arrows some heavy inserts and glue. Pretty good deal as I’m sure they see it as marketing to a future customer. I gotta figure out how I’m going to cut these arrow down and square them up. But after I do that I’ll bare shaft tune them. I plan on going heavy up front in true ranch ferry form.
I’m going to try shoot adult arrows, over 550 grains. I want to get this dialed in as it looks like I’ll be elk hunting in ‘22.
If anyone wants those 350 victory arrows pm me. 27.5” lighted knocks and extra 95 grain inserts. Very nice shape. The one I used to shoot a deer is buried deep in a marsh after going through the deer. The other one I lost is somewhere behind the archery targets in west bend. Lol. So I think I have 10.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 pm

I'm with all the Axis guys.

I have been shooting them for 8-10 seasons with a 75 grain insert for a total weight of 493. I love the setup and won't be changing until I can't buy them anymore.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”