Scout, scout, hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Scout, scout, hunt

Unread postby may21581 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:48 am

I was really pumped to gain some private that adjoins to public in the last week. I was able to get in there and scout today. I had been unable to get ahold of the owner due to him living out of town and was unable to acquire his number. So with some foot work and talking to neighbors I was able to connect with the guy through a neighbor who seen him there one day and asked for me. I was very appreciative for that and grateful.
I thought early on that it had seen no pressure and maybe was a honey hole. Then I also needed a backdoor into public where I needed some options as far as access. After talking with the owner he told me he had given two other guys permission as well. So then I was really optimistic about things.
So today I got in there and walked it down. I found old big rubs near transitions, and the connection I needed for a logging road to access public way back in. I also found ladder stands, feeders, and cameras everywhere. I seen why the sign was old and nothing new. It's amazing what over pressuring a property can do to it. If anything I gained an access point to public.
I've learned over the last several years to hunt around other hunters and find those spots where guys just dont go. We talk about sign all the time, 9/10 times your best sign will be where hunters aren't. The key to being successful is understanding this and focusing on those spots. Trailcams are nice and can get you in the ballpark. Spring scouting tells you exactly where you need to go and when. This can be a 2 acre area on public or a 20 acre private parcel. Reguardless of the size or where it is they are the same! Scout, scout, hunt!

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Uncle Lou

Re: Scout, scout, hunt

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon May 04, 2020 2:28 pm

Great post, good luck.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon May 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Good post. I see the same
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 am

:dance:
TANGS

Unread postby TANGS » Tue May 05, 2020 3:14 am

Right on.... I'll add on that I finally realized the importance of in season scouting last fall. It finally clicked with me last year and it made me realize how many wasted hunts I've been on by just hunting every chance I get rather than putting my time in scouting, reading sign, and checking out new area as the season progresses

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”