Suggestions for silencing lubricants on a hunting stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elmorken

Suggestions for silencing lubricants on a hunting stand

Unread postby elmorken » Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 am

Hey, Guys.
I have a tree stand that I climbed up into this turkey season that's deep into a bedding area on some land I hunt in Minnesota. I noticed this spring that it's making quite a bit of noise any time I move in it, so I obviously want to get that taken care of. I used a graphite dry lubricant when I assembled this a few years ago, and that seemed to do the trick for a while.

I'm curious if anyone on here has a liquid lubricant they would recommend that I could bring into the woods well before fall to get this thing quiet? It's a Millennium hang-on, so it's pretty well built. It's in a tree that's perfect for where I need to be, but it's really hard to get the stand positioned right there. That's why I have never really torn it down. Any suggestions on how you guys really get things quiet and eliminate the squeak that you start to get on stands would be appreciated.

elmorken

Re: Suggestions for silencing lubricants on a hunting stand

Unread postby elmorken » Sun May 03, 2020 3:08 am

I should have noted that I'm concerned about the scent of the standard liquid lubricants being on the stand. I guess I don't know exactly how deer would react to that, even if placed on the stand months before season. Makes me nervous, though, so I don't really want to try that route.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 am

I use bow wax on my LW stand, on the washers, and it seems to work well.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:34 am

Vegetable Oil
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 03, 2020 8:39 am

I use vegetable oil as well but bow wax only for stand or stick pivot points mainly because it lasts for a long time.

As far as scent goes if deer smell whatever lube your using they already smelled your human scent.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Bow string wax is the way to go... Lasts about one season. Im my opinion scent has little to do with it though... If the deer smell the lube, they smell you. Besides, I don't believe deer are afraid of oil. They are afraid of human scent. I have watched many deer walk right past cars and ATV's... Good news is, bow wax should not have much odor, so even if you believe that oil scent matters, you should be ok... Bad news is it usually means dissembling the stand and waxing all the washers and surfaces that move, or are bolted. Good news is it lasts a season and usually doing once before season gets you thru the year.
elmorken

Unread postby elmorken » Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 am

Thanks for the replies here, guys. I appreciate it. Looking forward to getting this taken care of soon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”