My “Aha” moment...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1MObowhunter

My “Aha” moment...

Unread postby 1MObowhunter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:34 am

I am just starting out on my “beast style” journey and have been trying to listen to every podcast, watch every video, and read everything that Dan has put out. Plus I’ve also bought and watched (a few times) his farm country bedding dvd. I hate to admit it but this is the first year I’ve ever put any real effort into scouting. I’ve been scouting some public land since now I know I’ve been burning my private areas out. The other day I decided to try something I’ve heard Dan talk about, but would never have given it a second thought before. Checked out a little island of trees/brush in an open field between two parking areas. It’s about 150-170 yards from each lot and the island is only about 20 yards at its widest point. I found a buck bed that was loaded with hair. I got down into the bed to get his vantage point and had a clear view of the parking area to the East. Thick stuff to his back on the west side. That was my “Aha!” Moment. It’s the perfect hiding spot where he can bed and keep an eye on things. There were 2 trails coming out the west side and a single trail into the east side. He could see any danger coming from just about anywhere. I plan to throw an observation sit at it a couple of times this next season just to check it out, but I’m thinking this may be a tough one to get close enough to to kill. Dan, I want to say a big thank you for opening my eyes to a better approach to hunting and to everyone for all the great info on this forum. You guys are great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1MObowhunter on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

1MObowhunter

Re: My “Aha” moment...

Unread postby 1MObowhunter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:36 am

My pics from inside the bed are too large to post for some reason.,.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:46 am

:dance: :dance:
Congrats, seeing these examples proves how most hunters are playing tee ball. Welcome to the big leagues.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:46 am

I would really consider removing those gps coordinates. I hear that place is pressured enough.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:49 am

Awesome stuff man! You have to love those light bulb moments
Congrats on putting forth effort in scouting and finding results
Hoping you nothing but the best this fall :clap:
1MObowhunter

Unread postby 1MObowhunter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:03 am

thwack16 wrote:I would really consider removing those gps coordinates. I hear that place is pressured enough.

Thanks! Didn’t even think about that. :roll:
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:08 am

1MObowhunter wrote:
thwack16 wrote:I would really consider removing those gps coordinates. I hear that place is pressured enough.

Thanks! Didn’t even think about that. :roll:

No problem. A lot of hard work goes into finding something like that to be found by internet scouters. I have not hunted the place but a close friend of mine has/does. From what I know, you're on the right path ;)
_Splinter_

Unread postby _Splinter_ » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:23 am

I also burned the Farm Country DVD up and zoned in on an island full of bedding. Unfortunately I found 2 bucks that fell victim to EHD from it this past year. I'm still relatively new to Beast tactics myself, but I'm committed to making changes in my setups.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”