Mock Scrapes For Buck Intel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

deer365

Mock Scrapes For Buck Intel

Unread postby deer365 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:53 am

Anyone have success using mock scrapes to gather Intel on bucks in the area? If so what time of year do you start creating them?

jman22
500 Club

Re: Mock Scrapes For Buck Intel

Unread postby jman22 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:14 am

Yes I have great luck with this . I use a thick grapevine for a licking branch. I'll drill a hole through it and tie it up in a tree so it swings freely. Then I usually scuff the ground underneath it. You can put them out anytime now. The deer will communicate with it all yr. Got the idea from Jeff Sturgis years ago. He has lots of videos on this.
If you are using it for buck intel, I usually put them on field edges. Most of the pics will be at night, but you will know the bucks in the area. I also put my mock scrapes within bow range of some stands, but you obviously need to be careful checking any cams you may set on these (or just avoid cams at these locations). If you are putting cams on scrapes near stands, consider a cell cam.
deer365

Unread postby deer365 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:28 am

Field edge wouldn't really be an option for me. They would be in more of a big woods setting. Do you use any scents with yours?
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:51 am

It works. Guys have been using that or rope for over 25 years.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:56 am

deer365 wrote:Field edge wouldn't really be an option for me. They would be in more of a big woods setting. Do you use any scents with yours?

I dont use any scents.
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:16 am

Big woods scrapes are super important. They visit them all year round. There definitely aren’t as many as in ag land so if you make one they almost always will take them over. The big woods scrapes I see the bucks and does visit the licking branches all year long and the actual scrape part usually isn’t that big.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:22 am

I use mock scrapes all the time with big grape vines as licking branches. They work great. If I can find deer scents on sale I'll use magnum scrape drippers starting late September to get them going. Pee in them when I swap cards. If in a good location I'll have a regular yearly scrape without having to open it up myself the next fall.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
deer365

Unread postby deer365 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:40 am

I've really been wanting to start doing it but I've always worried I will be to intrusive. Let's say you do get pictures of a good buck during daylight. How do you personally hunt him? Are you going back to sit over that mock scrape or are you trying to anticipate where he's coming from or where he's exiting to and setting up on him There? I'm probably over complicating it but I've just never had much success hunting scrapes. But I'd really like to try some mock scrapes this year to gather some Intel and possibly help me eliminate a few areas.
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:38 am

I've thought about adding this in this upcoming year as well. I've considered the vine like Jeff Sturgis uses, but I've also seen people just take a branch and tie onto a tree horizontally at normal licking branch height. I have one particular spot that is a small opening within a thicket, no overhanging branches nearby. The best way would be to tie the branch onto one of the trees the deer could see from 40 yards out. Does anyone use this method over the vine?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:34 am

deer365 wrote:I've really been wanting to start doing it but I've always worried I will be to intrusive. Let's say you do get pictures of a good buck during daylight. How do you personally hunt him? Are you going back to sit over that mock scrape or are you trying to anticipate where he's coming from or where he's exiting to and setting up on him There? I'm probably over complicating it but I've just never had much success hunting scrapes. But I'd really like to try some mock scrapes this year to gather some Intel and possibly help me eliminate a few areas.

I specifically put my mock scrapes in areas that will likely be nocturnal use only. Simply getting a shooter on cam tips the odds to me enough that I then rely on other cams along trails, funnels, etc. Then it's a matter of hunting my area smart, based off sign and what not. I'm not much of a "hunt'em in their bed" guy.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:01 am

Yes
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
deer365

Unread postby deer365 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:28 am

muddy wrote:
deer365 wrote:I've really been wanting to start doing it but I've always worried I will be to intrusive. Let's say you do get pictures of a good buck during daylight. How do you personally hunt him? Are you going back to sit over that mock scrape or are you trying to anticipate where he's coming from or where he's exiting to and setting up on him There? I'm probably over complicating it but I've just never had much success hunting scrapes. But I'd really like to try some mock scrapes this year to gather some Intel and possibly help me eliminate a few areas.

I specifically put my mock scrapes in areas that will likely be nocturnal use only. Simply getting a shooter on cam tips the odds to me enough that I then rely on other cams along trails, funnels, etc. Then it's a matter of hunting my area smart, based off sign and what not. I'm not much of a "hunt'em in their bed" guy.

Thanks man that helps a lot. About how many cams do you run in that particular area?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:57 pm

deer365 wrote:
muddy wrote:

Thanks man that helps a lot. About how many cams do you run in that particular area?

I have about a dozen. Some places I run 1, others 4 or 5.

deer365

Unread postby deer365 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:20 pm

When you go in to start a mock scrape for the first time what areas are you looking for? Near food sources? Near bedding? Do you use them all season? I'm really wanting to implement this into my hunting this season. My idea would be to look for an area that I feel would be a good core area and start several scrapes and place 2-3 cameras within the general vicinity. I'd like to find some places that offer a lot of habitat and timber diversity, potential bedding, food sources, water, maybe even old sign and start there. Any thoughts?
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:01 pm

If you wanted some scent (which I don’t think you really need) could you just rub one end of the branch or vine on some roadkills to try and get some scent from their glands?

People be like whys that guy poking that dead deer with a stick?

I tossed up a couple apple branches around my house last yr and the one I put smack dab in a trail was getting hit. Thinking of doing a few again this yr but with red pine or beech branch.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”